Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

‘Doctor Who’s’ David Tennant stars in bubbly British romcom

Decoy bride

The Decoy Bride  – Scotland/England – Netflix instant watch and Amazon Prime

“Doctor Who” fans who impatiently await David Tennant’s appearance in “The Day of The Doctor” late November may appease their apprehension by watching him star as a sarcastic, but (eventually) romantic best-selling writer in this Scottish-English romantic comedy that is more “com” than “rom.”

Like a Sunday morning that is bleakly aware of an impending Monday, the main character starts out rather regretfully as she is painfully reminded of her lack of prospects in her small Scottish island.

Yet, as the story progresses, she embraces her small town, compiling a second edition of the tour guide that until then had been used as toilet paper.

Though the movie plays with stereotypical foils – rich verse living-with-mother, bestseller verse independent-writer – it executes them with unabashed bubbliness in a setting that is unpredictable and hilarious.

Paparazzi dressed as monks, castles covered in feathers, and David Tennant in quill-and-ink-patterned boxers are just some of the quirky wonders of this light flick.

Luisa Andonie

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...