Resolution eases fan apprehension

Andrew Wyatt

Andrew Wyatt

Joy. Happiness. Relief. Excitement. These words are the feelings expressed by the student body Tuesday after the official announcement of the NCAA sanctions. “I Stand with the U” has been the Canes family’s message for almost three years. Tuesday the student body was able to stand in solidarity in the best way.

For the past two years, students have asked questions and were left uneasy about what would happen at the end of each athletic season. However, we still went out to support our student-athletes and their respective sports. Tuesday, all of that confusion and reluctance came to an end. When each student is in the stands cheering loudly for this wonderful university, there is no question, no doubt, that we are all cheering for success and victory.

Last year the women’s tennis team and the men’s basketball team began the resurgence of the historical success this university has seen. This season the football team is taking its turn with messages of “Full Speed Ahead” and “Deserve Victory,” finally knowing that the team is in the clear. We have stood with our fellow Canes and supported UM’s athletic teams every day on this campus and on the field. This will only continue to grow stronger with each coming year.

The investigation was long, unfair and intolerable, but it created a family atmosphere within all areas of the University of Miami. President Donna E. Shalala and athletic director Blake James released statements to every student, and the students stand behind UM’s decision to not appeal and instead move forward from the investigation.

Even with the loss of athletic scholarships over the next three years, the Hurricanes are on the rise once again. We are ready, as a unified community, to move forward and succeed in all that we do. Go Canes!

Andrew Wyatt is a senior majoring in sports administration.

Andrew Wyatt

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...