Blogs, Focus on Fitness

Halloween Road Races

Focus on Fitness Logo

Before you down that plastic pumpkin of candy or head to the Grove for a not-so-sober Halloween, sign yourself up for a fun race!

1. 2013 Halloween Spooktacular 5k

Saturday, Oct. 26, TY Park, Hollywood, FL

Runners of all abilities are invited to this event. The 5k Run/Walk kicks off at 7:15 a.m. followed by the Spooky Sprint Kids Dash, and Monster Mile at 8 a.m.  Preregistration costs $30 and will jump to $35 on race day. Members of the Greater Fort Lauderdale Road Runners Club enjoy a discounted preregistration fee of $25. All participants who come in costume will receive gift certificates from race sponsors and the GFLRRC. For more information, visit stories/ GFLRRC%20-%202013%20HALLOWEEN%20SPOOKTACULAR% 205K%20APP.pdf

2. Miami Beach Halloween Half Marathon

Saturday, Oct. 26, Miami Beach, FL

If you a) love to run, b) love Halloween costumes, or c) love to run in Halloween costumes, this is the race for you. This scenic course along Miami Beach starts at Jungle Island and winds its way through the islands and causeways to Miami Beach and back again. Register to race in the Costume or Age Group Categories. Costume categories include Superhero, Villain, Scary, Funny, Underwear, and WTF! Register online for $100 at All finishers receive a signature Halloween themed medal. For more information, visit the event website at

3. Mud Dogs Monster Dash

Saturday, Oct. 26, Amelia Earhart Park, Hialeah, FL

Get ready to get down n’ dirty for this one. Participants in this Mud Dogs series event can expect a gauntlet of military-style obstacles and a whole lot of mud. Wall climbing, aquatics, hurdles, crawling and balancing events are all part of the fun. Individual registration costs $65 until Oct. 23 ($80 after) and includes a race bib, shirt, entertainment and a finisher’s medal. For more information, visit

4. Mud Mingle Halloween Mud Ball

Saturday, Oct. 26, Virginia Key Park, Key Biscayne, Miami FL

This 18+ event is a guaranteed howl. Register for the 5k race as an Individual ($79), Team ($74 per member), or an elite racer in the Competitive Heat ($94) through Oct. 21.  This year’s event will also feature a 10k course for an additional $10 added to the registration fee. All runners will receive a finishers T-shirt, a Mud Mingle dog tag and an ice cold beer. But the fun freebies don’t stop there. The event website boasts a free after-party with “contests, games, prizes and general silliness…club-style waitress service, food trucks and kick ass DJ.”

In the spirit of the holiday, prizes will be awarded for the best and worst Halloween costumes.

Need that extra reason to convince your friends? The biggest team will be awarded with free access to a VIP tent and keg party.

The party continues into the evening with free entry and two free drinks at the official nighttime Mud Mingle club event held at Gryphon/Pangaea Nightclub at The Hard Rock in Hollywood.

For additional information, visit

5. down2earth Oleta Halloween Trail Run

Sunday, Oct. 27, North Miami Beach, FL

Looking to get in touch with nature? This is the race for you. Runners can choose to participate in the 13.1 mile ($45), 10k ($40) or 5k ($35) trail runs.

The varied terrain takes runners off the road and into the tropical beauty of South Florida.

To register, visit

6. FIU Running Scared 5k

Sunday, Oct. 27, North Miami, FL

Let’s face it. We all have those days when even lacing up your running shoes is an effort. Florida International University’s Running Scared 5k will provide you with that little bit of extra motivation to get you up and running. How about being chased by a pack of zombies sound for motivation?

For $30, participants can register as a runner or a Zombie (Chaser or Walker) for this race, organized by the FIU Tri Team.

For further details and registration information, visit–156210&ltcmp=194590&ltclickid=10_59487346_03e9435f-af03-42ca-91a5-4e6ec30f9f4a&cmp=39-28

Kristen Spillane

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

The University of Miami volleyball team hosts Florida Atlantic University at the James L. Knight Spo ...

The University of Miami Hurricane Club is excited to announce the official 2018 Building Champions S ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...