Blogs, Focus on Fitness

Personal trainers offer free weight lifting class

If your answer to “Do you even lift bro?” is a confused and or terrified facial expression, your saving grace is just around the corner.

Personal trainers are offering free weight lifting classes at the University of Miami Herbert Wellness Center.

Originally geared towards females and freshmen, the class now targets anyone looking for clarification or assistance on proper weight lifting techniques.

The program is run by certified trainers at the Wellness Center, including Nicole McCullough, 20, an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer and exercise physiology and health sciences major from Midland, Mich.

McCullough explained the basic structure of the weekly sessions.

“Each class consists of two lifts: one upper body and one lower body,” she said. “We discuss a fitness related myth and a cardio challenge for the participants to try on tier own as well. First we demonstrate and talk about the lift then have the participants try it themselves and we correct their form.”

“We teach the class so that people will know safe weight lifting techniques. We understand that the free weight section is intimidating for many so we offer this class to give our participants the confidence and skills to go into the free weight section and safely perform a lifting workout,” McCullough said.

Invitations are extended to participants of all experience levels.

“I attended the class because I saw a flyer in the Wellness Center bathroom. I thought it was going to be a big class full of expert weight lifters,” said junior Karina Rodriguez, 20, an industrial engineering major. “The class was great. It was two trainers per participant. I learned a lot about proper form and exercise ideas.”

The weight lifting sessions are offered 8 to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

“We understand that schedules are hectic in college so I would say that there are four opportunities to make it,” said McCullough. “Often times you can get one on one time with a personal trainer at no cost to the participant.”

“The trainers were fun and encouraging. There was both a female and male trainer, so it was great to get different perspectives on how to go about proper weight lifting. They made the class fly by,” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez is just one of many returning participants in this individualized and informational experience.

“I will attend another session because each week focuses on a different set of exercises. I plan on learning all that I can to improve,” she said. “I would definitely recommend this class to a friend. It is designed to help exercisers of all levels so everyone is welcome.”

For more information the Herbert Wellness Center’s Facebook page at facebook.com/herbertwellnesscenter.

Kristen Spillane

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...