Community, News

Sophomore dies in canoe accident, memorial to take place Tuesday

University of Miami student Andy Melendez died Saturday in a canoe accident while in Arcadia, Fla.

Melendez was a second year, pre-med student from Astoria, NY and a member of the fraternity Lambda Chi Alpha. A memorial service will be held 8 p.m. Tuesday on The Rock.

Melendez was reported missing Saturday night after one other student ended up in the water, according to the De Soto County Sheriff’s office. His friends realized he was missing several minutes later.

“The University of Miami community was saddened to learn of the death of Andy Melendez…” UM president Donna E. Shalala said in a statement Monday. ” Our thoughts and prayers are with Andy’s family and friends.”

The counseling center is available for any students who have been impacted by the tragedy. For more information on the counseling center, call 305-284-5511 or visit miami.edu/sa/index.php/counseling_center.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...