Community, News

Sophomore dies in canoe accident, memorial to take place Tuesday

University of Miami student Andy Melendez died Saturday in a canoe accident while in Arcadia, Fla.

Melendez was a second year, pre-med student from Astoria, NY and a member of the fraternity Lambda Chi Alpha. A memorial service will be held 8 p.m. Tuesday on The Rock.

Melendez was reported missing Saturday night after one other student ended up in the water, according to the De Soto County Sheriff’s office. His friends realized he was missing several minutes later.

“The University of Miami community was saddened to learn of the death of Andy Melendez…” UM president Donna E. Shalala said in a statement Monday. ” Our thoughts and prayers are with Andy’s family and friends.”

The counseling center is available for any students who have been impacted by the tragedy. For more information on the counseling center, call 305-284-5511 or visit miami.edu/sa/index.php/counseling_center.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...