News Briefs 10/14

“Jews of Nigeria”

William Miles, a professor at Northeastern University, will give a lecture on his book “Jews of Nigeria” on Monday from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at the Miller Center Auditorium in the Merrick Building. The event is co-sponsored with UM’s African Studies Program. This lecture is given during Edmund Abaka’s class.

U-Stop Diabetes

To raise awareness of diabetes, the American Diabetes Association presents U-Stop Diabetes on Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the University Center Patio.  The event features health screenings, fitness classes, healthy cooking demonstrations by Whole Foods Market, giveaways and music. As many as one in three adults will have diabetes in 2050 if present trends continue, attendees will learn more about the diseases and prevention measures. Learn more at diabetes.org. For more information, email mbashes@gmail.com.

Graduate Fair 

The Idealist Miami Graduate Fair will take place Tuesday from 5 to 8 p.m. in the BankUnited Center’s Multipurpose Room at the Fieldhouse. The fair is free and open to anyone  who is considering graduate school. Students will have the chance to connect with 56 graduate school with programs in fields such as public administration, international affairs, education, public interest law, social work, nonprofit management, global and public health, entrepreneurship, theology and environmental science. For more information, visit miami.edu/maia.

Clothesline Project

The UM Counseling Center will sponsor the Clothesline Project (CLP) Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the university green. The CLP is a program that addresses the issue of violence against women, where people may express their emotions by decorating a shirt. The shirts are then hung on a clothesline that others can view to raise awareness. The Counseling Center invites students to come and view T-shirts created by survivors to tell their stories and send messages of hope. Students may also tell their stories or write a message on a T-shirt that will be displayed. T-shirts may be dropped off at the Counseling Center during normal business hours.

Well Canes 

The Well Canes Marketplace has returned to campus, allowing students the chance to support local vendors and enjoy baked goods, artisanal cheeses, local honey, marinades, ceviche and pasta. The marketplace is an initiative of the Department of Human Resources and UM Student Government and will be held every Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Green.

CPR Course

The Heart Saver CPR with AED course will take place Monday 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Wellness Center. The class teaches CPR and relief of choking in adults, children and infants, as well as use of barrier devices for all ages. Participants will also learn how to use the Automated External Defibrillator (AED), the machine that induces an electric shock to cause the heart to beat again. To register, call 305-284-5433 or visit miami.edu/wellness/wellnessprograms.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...