Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

The petit pain au chocolat of French films

Clara et Moi – available for free streaming on Amazon Prime
Like a simple petit pain au chocolat, “Clara et Moi” is everything you’d want a French love story to be – light, bittersweet and over way too abruptly.
But unlike mass-produced varieties, this treat is replete with heartfelt nuances both in the cinematography and the acting. Intentional shots through windows, word-play and micro-gestures all make for a romantic picture.
Even if you don’t understand French, you will surely enjoy the whispery voice of Julie Gayet as the words melt in her mouth. Her musical voice is a propos as voices and absence of voices is a theme throughout the film. A silent first-encounter on the metro, a racy phone service and even a musical number give the movie a sincere, heartfelt quality.
For ultimate enjoyment, don’t expect a dramatic plot; just close the curtains and let it sink in on a languid Sunday afternoon.
What was my favorite directorial choice? When the main character is reading a note that Clara left him, he hears her voice in his head reading it. But as he re-reads it, her voice is replayed in a different recording and at a faster pace. Genius.

Luisa Andonie

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...