Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

The petit pain au chocolat of French films

Clara et Moi – available for free streaming on Amazon Prime
Like a simple petit pain au chocolat, “Clara et Moi” is everything you’d want a French love story to be – light, bittersweet and over way too abruptly.
But unlike mass-produced varieties, this treat is replete with heartfelt nuances both in the cinematography and the acting. Intentional shots through windows, word-play and micro-gestures all make for a romantic picture.
Even if you don’t understand French, you will surely enjoy the whispery voice of Julie Gayet as the words melt in her mouth. Her musical voice is a propos as voices and absence of voices is a theme throughout the film. A silent first-encounter on the metro, a racy phone service and even a musical number give the movie a sincere, heartfelt quality.
For ultimate enjoyment, don’t expect a dramatic plot; just close the curtains and let it sink in on a languid Sunday afternoon.
What was my favorite directorial choice? When the main character is reading a note that Clara left him, he hears her voice in his head reading it. But as he re-reads it, her voice is replayed in a different recording and at a faster pace. Genius.

Luisa Andonie

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...