Academics, News, Science and Technology

UMTV to house new HD cameras

The University of Miami is adding $1.7 million worth of state-of-the-art studio equipment to benefit the students at UMTV and the School of Communication’s broadcast program.

“It’s exciting to have hands-on experience with new equipment that is used in big networks like Univision, NBC and ABC,” said UMTV Station Manager Lauren Behar.

Eight new high-definition studio cameras – six on pedestals and two fixed ones – are expected to arrive later this month and be put to use right away. The switch to HD work will happen in the spring semester after key components such as monitors, routers and graphics are integrated into the system.

“This is a very exciting time for us,” said electronic media professor Ed Julbe. “The migration to HD has been slow and steady.”

His colleague, broadcast journalism professor Andy Barton, said the change will help streamline the production process.

“These cameras, along with some new control room equipment, will enable us to broadcast in HD,” he said.  “We already shoot all of our field video in HD, but then had to convert it to standard definition before it goes out over the air.”

Students and faculty will also be learning to use new editing software. The school is switching to a program called Avid to replace Final Cut Pro, which students have used for years.

“The switch to Avid was one that was made collectively as a faculty,” Julbe said. “Avid has been a leader in the world of post-production for many years. By making the switch, we are preparing our students on the same software used by industry professionals.”

Some students aren’t thrilled about changing to a new system but can see the benefit.

“I do not like the change from Final Cut Pro to Avid, but I am happy because this program would be needed in the real world,” said senior Galie Darwich, co-executive producer of UniMiami, a Spanish news show similar to Univision’s news program on UMTV.

Eddie Sanchez

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...