News Briefs 10/10

Gandhi Day

National Gandhi Day of Service will take place Saturday at more than 20 sites throughout Miami-Dade County. Students may register alone, with a student organization or with a group of friends at umghandiday.com. Walk-ins are encouraged to attend. Check-in will last until 9:30 a.m., and buses will leave campus after the opening ceremony. Students will be back on campus by 2 p.m.  Free T-shirts will be provided to all participants, as well as breakfast and lunch.

Homecoming Concert

Big Sean and Gareth Emery will be performing at the 2013 Homecoming Concert at 8 p.m. on Nov. 7. Tickets are free for students and will be available beginning Monday at the UC Ticket Window from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, visit hurricaneproductions.org/homecoming.

Emergency Notification

The Office of Emergency Management will conduct a system test of the Emergency Notification Network Friday. The test will include SMS text messages, voice messages, emails, website banners, social media, campus cable TV, digital signage, outdoor warning sirens and, beginning this year, mass public address announcements in most buildings on the Coral Gables campus and on the university Green.

Miami Seaquarium

Tickets for the Miami Sequarium will be half price for students on Saturday and Sunday. Students and up to five guests can receive the special offer, but students must present their Cane Cards to redeem the deal and enjoy the marine animal shows and tropical wildlife.

UBike Expo

The UBike Expo and Sale will be held on  Monday and Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Students are encouraged to attend if interested in registering a bike with UMPD or meeting others with similar interests. Participants include All 4 Cycling, Bike Safe, Dolphins Cycling Challenge, Everglades Bicycle Club, Gables Bike Day, Green U, Mack Cycle, UMPD and the Virginia Key Bicycling Club.

Paranormal Activities

Canes After Dark will be hosting an event Friday from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m at the Student Activities Center. The event, “Paranormal Activities,” will feature a contortionist at 10 p.m., trick or treating in the student organization suites, live bands on the patio, make your own candy apple, decorate your own lantern, and corn bread and mac ‘n’ cheese from Boston Market.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...