News Briefs 10/10

Gandhi Day

National Gandhi Day of Service will take place Saturday at more than 20 sites throughout Miami-Dade County. Students may register alone, with a student organization or with a group of friends at umghandiday.com. Walk-ins are encouraged to attend. Check-in will last until 9:30 a.m., and buses will leave campus after the opening ceremony. Students will be back on campus by 2 p.m.  Free T-shirts will be provided to all participants, as well as breakfast and lunch.

Homecoming Concert

Big Sean and Gareth Emery will be performing at the 2013 Homecoming Concert at 8 p.m. on Nov. 7. Tickets are free for students and will be available beginning Monday at the UC Ticket Window from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, visit hurricaneproductions.org/homecoming.

Emergency Notification

The Office of Emergency Management will conduct a system test of the Emergency Notification Network Friday. The test will include SMS text messages, voice messages, emails, website banners, social media, campus cable TV, digital signage, outdoor warning sirens and, beginning this year, mass public address announcements in most buildings on the Coral Gables campus and on the university Green.

Miami Seaquarium

Tickets for the Miami Sequarium will be half price for students on Saturday and Sunday. Students and up to five guests can receive the special offer, but students must present their Cane Cards to redeem the deal and enjoy the marine animal shows and tropical wildlife.

UBike Expo

The UBike Expo and Sale will be held on  Monday and Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Students are encouraged to attend if interested in registering a bike with UMPD or meeting others with similar interests. Participants include All 4 Cycling, Bike Safe, Dolphins Cycling Challenge, Everglades Bicycle Club, Gables Bike Day, Green U, Mack Cycle, UMPD and the Virginia Key Bicycling Club.

Paranormal Activities

Canes After Dark will be hosting an event Friday from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m at the Student Activities Center. The event, “Paranormal Activities,” will feature a contortionist at 10 p.m., trick or treating in the student organization suites, live bands on the patio, make your own candy apple, decorate your own lantern, and corn bread and mac ‘n’ cheese from Boston Market.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...