News, Obituaries

Cane remembered for devotion

Longtime UM trustee and Miami Hurricanes enthusiast Nicholas “Nick” Crane passed away Sept. 30, 2013. He was 90.

Crane came to the university in 1949 as a student and received his bachelor and law degrees in 1951 and 1953, respectively.

He dedicated himself to his alma mater by giving his time and resources.

“Nick Crane was thoughtful, smart and just plain nice,” said University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala in a statement. “He never gave up on his community or his beloved Canes. He will be missed.”

He was elected to UM’s Board of Trustees in 1986 and was named a senior trustee in 1998. During his 27 years on the board, he served on various committees, including executive, academic affairs, finance, investments, student affairs and he chaired the athletic advisory from 1990 to 1993.

Crane was a member of the UM Hospital Board of Governors and served on the visiting committees of the College of Arts and Sciences and the Schools of Business Administration, Communication, Law, and Nursing and Health Studies.

Crane was a member of the George E. Merrick Giving Society. He continually gave support to many university initiatives, including athletics, the BankUnited Center and the School of Business Administration. The Della Crane Classroom at the Graduate School of Business Administration is named in memory of his late wife.

Crane is survived by two children, who are also Hurricanes, Lisa A. Crane (B.A. ‘87) and Nicholas A. Crane Jr. (B.A. ‘79), and his granddaughter, Rachel Reyes.

The university will hold a memorial service in Crane’s honor at the Robert and Judi Prokop Newman Alumni Center at 2 p.m. on Oct. 25.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...