Community, News

Students, faculty start week with walk around Lake Osceola

Scott Rogers, the Director of Mindfulness in Law Program, silently walks with University of Miami Law students Jackie Frisch and Stephanie Rosendorf during a meditative walk around the lake early Monday morning. These walks and other similar events are held regularly by the Law school as a way to involve students in activities that can contribute to their overall health and well-being.

Charlotte Cushing // Staff Photographer

Some University of Miami School of Law students and faculty members have found a way to stay focused and centered before they begin their busy week. On Monday mornings, they take the Mindful Walk Around the Lake.

“First and foremost, I enjoy walking around this beautiful campus and taking stock of the world to give us more perspective,” said Janet Stearns, dean of students at the law school and the leader of the weekly event. “If we can continue to introduce more balance and perspective into the law school experience, we’ll have happier and more successful students who will ultimately be happier and more successful lawyers.”

The walk begins at 8 a.m. If it’s just drizzling, Stearns will usually try to walk, but if it’s pouring, then they don’t go. The size of the group varies from week to week, from just a handful of walkers to dozens, she said.

“It’s a great way to start off a Monday morning in a relaxed state, especially before a busy week,” said Stephanie Rosendorf, a first-year law student.

The walk around Lake Osceola begins at the law school courtyard, then past the music school, toward the freshman towers, and then around the lake and over the bridge leading to the University Center. The last part brings everyone through the heart of campus and back to the law school. The walk takes about 30 minutes to complete.

The walk is part of a group of programs at the law school designed to keep students healthy, happy and focused, collectively called the Mindfulness in Law Program. The program includes workshops on balancing one’s life and seminars for law students on exercise, sleep and food.

“There’s something to be said for being outdoors, and the ‘ground beneath my feet’ experience,” said Scott Rogers, the program’s director. “It always brings out different things for different people.”

Aside from fostering mindfulness, the walk has other benefits.

“One of the reasons for the walk is that a little bit of exercise can help with memory retention,” Stearns said. “It’s obviously not all about going to the gym, but I’d like to see more research done on the subject. It’s one of the things we’ve talked about on the walks.”

The Mindful Walk Around the Lake is in its third year and will continue to be open to all students, including law, graduate and undergraduate.

For more information visit miamimindfulness.org for more information on the Mindful Walk around the Lake and the Mindfulness in Law Program.

Lainey Meiri

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...