Sports Briefs 9/30

Soccer

The Hurricanes traveled to Tallahassee, Fla., looking to stage another upset of the Seminoles. Miami  toppled then-No. 1 Florida State in 2012, but dropped last Thursday’s match 4-0.

FSU (9-0-2),  now ranked third, had scored three goals by halftime and allowed Miami (6-4-0) just one shot the entire night.

Coach Mary-Frances Monroe was disappointed, and said the Canes “have to stay plugged in for the entire 30 minutes.”

Miami returns home to face Notre Dame at noon Sunday.

Volleyball

Miami opened its conference schedule with two road wins this past weekend.

The Canes improved to 9-3 with a come-from-behind effort against Boston College and an easier victory over Syracuse.

Boston College took the first set on Saturday 25-23, and then won a marathon second set 34-32. But Miami battled back, grabbing the next two sets 25-14 and 25-19. The Canes clinched the comeback 15-11 in the fifth.Miami departed Chestnut Hill for Syracuse, and then won in four sets Sunday afternoon. Next up on the road trip is Clemson, followed by Georgia Tech.

Cross Country

Thirteen Miami runners competed at the Charlotte Invitational, including seven men in the 8000m and six women in the 6000m. Lindsi Arrington was the Hurricanes’ best finisher, placing 13th overall. 

Miami was without its oldest veteran, as senior Sean Pezzulo was not in attendance.  The men placed five runners in the top 100 out of a field of 198.  With a little over a month before conference, we need improvement from everyone to reach our goals,” assistant coach Damon Griffiths said.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...