Community, Edge, Food

Local restaurants to help satisfy late-night cravings

The Banana Cheesecake at Gigi in Midtown. Morgan Coleman // Contributing Photographer

It’s past midnight, and you and friends have the drunchies. Where do you go? Do you hit up the usual Taco Bell and McDonald’s? Break away from the usual routine and check out The Miami Hurricane’s top four late night eateries.

Casola’s pizzeria and sub shop

When it’s 1 a.m. on a Moe’s Monday, you’re guaranteed to have only $5, blurry vision and an oncoming hangover from all the Moose Juice. If you haven’t grabbed a slice of Casola’s after midnight, you’ve missed out on a great slice and fun way to end your night.

Casola’s serves pizza, sandwiches, pasta, calzones and salads. This restaurant is known for their mammoth size slices. A slice of cheese will run you a little over $4, but can fill up the stomach of any big boy and girl.

They only accept cash, but they have an ATM inside for those that only carry plastic.

Casola’s is open from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 4 a.m. Friday through Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. Sunday. It is located at 2437 SW 17th Ave., Miami.

Big Pink Restaurant South Beach

The few seconds of drunk stumbling and enduring the pain of your heels from Story to the Big Pink at 4 a.m. is worth jaywalking for. Think of a traditional American dinner but better, with bigger portions. Big Pink has a huge variety of food selections from the delicious warm French toast to churrasco wrap, serving breakfast all day.

If polenta fries layered with bacon, sauteed spinach and two poached eggs topped with cheese sauce and fresh basil all sound good, order my personal favorite, the Hollywood breakfast, which goes for $11.75.

This restaurant is Miami Beach-priced, so don’t expect to pay less than $10 per plate.

Big Pink is open 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday, 8 a.m. to 2 a.m. Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 5 a.m. Friday through Saturday. It is located at 157 Collins Ave., Miami Beach.

Huahua’s Taqueria

Feeling nachos and tacos? Substitute that Taco Bell chapula for a braised rib enchilada at Huahua’s Taqueria on South Beach. They have nachos, tacos, taco salads and enchiladas. You will not regret this late-night treat. Mexican food a walk away from the ocean sounds God sent.

The biggest question you have when you’re at Huahua’s Taqueria is, “Which taco should I get? The grilled mahi or fried chicken?” My suggestion is order every taco on the menu, since they all cost a little more than $3.

Huahua’s Taqueria is open from 11 a.m. to midnight Sunday through Thursday, and from 11 a.m. to 5 a.m. Friday and Saturday. It is located at 1211 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach.

Gigi

Once you’re done hitting up Bardot, bring out your inner pretentious foodie at the Asian fusion restaurant Gigi, which is conveniently located a few doors down. Before you step in, be warned that prices are high and plates are to be shared.

My recommendations for first-timers are the pork bun and the short rib sandwich. The roasted pork bun will cost $9 and is so delicious, you’ll make you’re friends order their own. The short rib sandwich is bigger, but costs $16.

Gigi’s is open from noon to midnight Sunday through Monday, from noon to 3 a.m. Tuesday through Thursday, and from noon to 5 a.m. Friday and Saturday. It is located at 3470 N. Miami Ave., Miami.

Frank Malvar

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...