Nothing more successful in a job hunt than actually being successful

MUG_Patrick Quinlan

Quinlan

In its Sept. 15 issue, The Miami Hurricane published an opinion piece by Taylor Duckett (“Networking Increases Job Options“), encouraging students to network, attend the upcoming career expo, and take advantage of the immeasurable resource that is the Toppel Career Center. But I fear that only relying on networks is a shallow artifice for quality employment.

It is certainly true that students should look at Toppel as more than just some of the best free T-shirts at Orientation, and I echo Duckett’s view on the importance of putting yourself out there.

I personally try to go through my resume with Toppel once a semester and already have scheduled appointments to discuss potential summer internships.

But at the same time, my reaction to the word “networking” would likely fall between having an 8 a.m. Friday class and the Canes losing to Marquette in last year’s Sweet 16.

There are two types of people in this world: those who are good at networking and those who are not. I am unapologetically the latter.

As I see it, networking, especially among peers, is nothing more than an artificial relationship or quid-pro-quo with fake smiles and firm handshakes hiding the furtive desperation of employment. The student keeps business cards for jobs that they will apply for with a boilerplate cover letter that the employer will glance at before likely discarding.

Instead, it is my maxim — or wishful thinking — that nothing breeds success like success: If you earn your job, you will be hired.

All of the networking in the world can’t replace a good GPA, sincere recommendations and a demonstrated and heartfelt passion to do a good job.

Patrick Quinlan is a sophomore majoring in international studies and political science.

Patrick Quinlan

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...