News Briefs 9/26

Student Success Series

Multicultural Student Affairs will host “Nothing Less Than Academic Success,” which will involve representatives from the library, the Academic Resource Center, the Ombudsperson program, the Academic and Career Advisers in Residence and the Writing Center and teach students to be successful during their academic year. The event will be held at 5 p.m. Thursday in the Mahoney Residential College Master’s Apartment. For more information, visit miami.edu/msa.

Laser Battle

The Wellness Center will host a “Laser Battle” from 8 to 10:45 p.m. Friday.  The event is a cross between laser tag and paintball. Students can participate for free.

LinkedIn Session

The Toppel Career Center is hosting “Leveraging Social Media for Your Job Search” at 1 p.m. Thursday in the Toppel Library. At this session, students can learn what LinkedIn is, how it can be used as a resource, and how to be sure their profiles make them stand apart from other candidates. Attendees are encouraged to bring laptops.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...