News Briefs 9/26

Student Success Series

Multicultural Student Affairs will host “Nothing Less Than Academic Success,” which will involve representatives from the library, the Academic Resource Center, the Ombudsperson program, the Academic and Career Advisers in Residence and the Writing Center and teach students to be successful during their academic year. The event will be held at 5 p.m. Thursday in the Mahoney Residential College Master’s Apartment. For more information, visit miami.edu/msa.

Laser Battle

The Wellness Center will host a “Laser Battle” from 8 to 10:45 p.m. Friday.  The event is a cross between laser tag and paintball. Students can participate for free.

LinkedIn Session

The Toppel Career Center is hosting “Leveraging Social Media for Your Job Search” at 1 p.m. Thursday in the Toppel Library. At this session, students can learn what LinkedIn is, how it can be used as a resource, and how to be sure their profiles make them stand apart from other candidates. Attendees are encouraged to bring laptops.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...