News Briefs 9/19

A Better High

Author of “A Better High,” Matt Bellace will be speaking at 7 p.m. on Thursday in the SAC Center Ballroom. The event is sponsored by Pier 21. As a comedian and clinical psychologist, Bellace is bringing his unique message about alcohol and other drugs to campus in this interactive program. For more information, visit Miami.edu/Pier21 or Facebook.com/UMPier21.

Miami Bash 

End summer with a bash on Friday at 8 p.m. at the Student Activities Center. Canes After Dark will provide barbecue from Shorty’s, smoothies, photo post cards and a comedy show by Alfred and Seymour. This new monthly tradition features music, food, giveaways and entertainment, all for free.

Football Game

Cheer on the Canes at 7 p.m. Saturday as they play against Savannah State. Tickets are available at canestix.com. Buses will depart the BankUnited Center at 4 p.m. and the first return bus begins at halftime. A valid Cane Card is required to board the bus.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...