V's Take

Dear V: I’m trying to avoid the chub…

V,

I’m a freshman and I don’t know how to avoid the “freshman 15.” I’ve been trying to go to the gym on a regular basis, but between classes, extracurriculars and studying, I don’t seem to have much time. And it’s hard to resist the carby foods in the dining hall. 

How do I get through my freshman year without turning into a beluga whale? 

Sincerely,

Ugly Betty

Dear Peggy Olson,

I’m not much of an energizer bunny myself. When I go to the gym I just walk around in my yoga pants and pink sneakers and wait for a cute boy to compliment my ponytail … think Cher Horowitz in “Clueless.” That being said, I try to watch what I eat as closely as I can.

No one is forcing you to go to Zumba every week or conquer Jacob’s Ladder. Two-a-days are reserved for football players, and frankly, if you’re eating the way I think you’re eating, you’re going to be way too pregnant with that food baby to even leave your dorm.

You should make time in your schedule to be active. You’re a freshman, which means you’re not that busy yet. You just got here you have nothing to do but go to class, study and sleep – and don’t try to pull the “I’m an engineering major” bulls#!* because everyone knows your first year is chock-full of electives and gen-eds.

I mean to say this very loudly and clearly – put down the muffin and walk away. It’s not doing anyone any good to see you wear sweatpants because that’s all that fits you right now.

You can only wear jeans or track pants once a week.

Advice Columnist

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...