News Briefs 9/16

MASCOT TRYOUTS

Ever wondered how it feels to lead a student section in a Canes spell out at a football game? If you think you have what it takes to pump up a crowd, attend the information session for Sebastian the Ibis tryouts at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the University Center Room 211.

RAY LEWIS

Hurricane Productions and Student Government are presenting  “An Evening with Ray Lewis” Oct. 2 in the Student Activities Center ballrooms. Lewis will be giving two separate talks at 6 and 8 p.m. Tickets will be available Sept. 23 at the UC ticket window.

HOMECOMING

The first Homecoming 2013 meeting will be held at 8 p.m. Monday in the third floor of the Student Activities Center in the South Ballroom. Students are encouraged to form groups with friends, organizations or residential halls to participate in events, including a parade, and singing and dancing competitions.

FRENCH SPEAKER

The Miami-Florida European Union (EU) Center of Excellence, a partnership with Florida International University, and the Jean Monnet Chair of the University of Miami, will host a guest roundtable and presentation titled “France Today: role at the UN and the European Union, relations with the United States, recent political developments, and the Syrian crisis.” Speakers include Joaquín Roy, Director of the EU Center; Ambler H. Moss, Jr, Professor of International Studies; and Haim Shaked, Director, Miller Center. Philippe Létrilliart, consul general of France, will give the keynote presentation. The event will take place from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday in Room 126 of the Ferre Building.

CAREER FAIR

The Toppel Career Center will host the Fall Career Expo & Graduate Fair from 3 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the BankUnited Center. More than 100 companies are expected to attend.

For more on the event, check out Taylor Duckett’s opinion on page 5.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.  

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...