Nearby Bimini Islands are hidden treasures

EDGE_bimini1

Cyan-blue waters, smooth sands and sunny days make up the Bimini Islands of the Bahamas.

Located approximately 53 miles east of Miami, the chain of islands provide fishing, snorkeling and diving aficionados a special taste of the Caribbean environment.

With such great vacation spots so close to home, it’s almost impossible to not find a way to get away to these tiny isles for at least a day.

Transportation to the tiny islands

Less than a decade ago, Bimini used to be a rich man’s paradise. Unless you were a local, Bimini was reserved exclusively for those who could afford yachts or luxurious methods of transportation to the islands.

The island’s popularity as a vacation spot for Miamians didn’t escalate until the opening of Resorts World Bimini. The resort, which is located near the heart of the island’s major town, Alice Town, boasts a spa area, shops, restaurants and bars. The resort is also home to an iconic infinity pool that seems to extend to the end of the sky-blue, crystal-clear water.

With the popularity of the island on the rise, the owners of Resorts World Bimini decided to expand its horizons with the addition of a casino and two cruise options.

Resorts World Bimini’s SuperFast Cruise Ship offers quality vacation opportunities for those with a low budget, starting at $69 per person. The ship departs twice daily from Port of Miami. Guests can choose to overnight in Bimini, or return the same day. There is also an evening cruise on weekends, which returns by 6 a.m.

The cruise features a club and casino – an extended version of the one found ashore Bimini. Titled the Miami Casino, this onboard experience opens 90 minutes after the ship has sailed. At that time, the ship is in international waters, so anyone over the age of 18 can gamble.

In addition to speedy transportation to the islands, the ship boasts other forms of entertainment and activities including dancing, karaoke, restaurants and bars.

Some meals, including breakfast and lunch, are included in the trip price and are a good deal for the cost.

While cabin reservations are not included in the price, they are available for about $40 each if booked prior to the sail date.

What to do in Bimini

Though Bimini boasts many activities, one of the more relaxing ways to spend the day is swimming and tanning on the smooth sands.

If you take the cruise, you arrive at North Bimini. You can then take a golf cart to Alice Town, where you will find a nearby beach, shops and a rustic conch salad shack.

Arrive at Alice Town and find a local museum. Many people believe it stores some of the island’s best-kept tales.

While some visit museums, others enjoy spending time grabbing a bowl of conch salad.

“The conch salad is amazing,” said Sebastian Ortegon, 23. “For anyone who likes sushi or ceviche, they would definitely want it. And for anyone who doesn’t like seafood, they won’t even realize what they’re eating.”

Ortegon, who visited Bimini for the first time in late August and is originally from Coral Springs, Fla., was impressed by the travel’s costs and options.

“I felt Bimini was one of the best trips I’ve taken since it was extremely cheap,” he said. “Best one-day getaway you can do, since it gives you the impression that you’ve been on vacation for a lot longer.”

Whether you enjoy a conch salad from a local eatery, or prefer to grab a Kalik (the Bahamian beer) and sunbathe the day away, this trip is great for an adventurous spirit.

The islands are not only extremely photogenic, but they are also home to some of the area’s most historically famous grounds.

Considered a “haven” during the Prohibition era in the United States, the area served as a supply point for rum-running at the time. And according to legend and Wikipedia, Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de Leon, while searching for the famed Fountain of Youth, made references to Bimini. The Arawak and Taino populations spoke of a land called “Beimini” where such a fountain was located.

If you go

For more information on the Resorts World Bimini’s SuperFast Cruise, visit rwbimini.com or call 1-888-930-8688 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. The offices are open seven days a week.

Take cash. Not all vendors in Alice Town accept credit cards.

Do not forget your passport.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Nearby Bimini Islands are hidden treasures”

1. Angelina says:

I took a getaway cruise last week. The entire trip was full of pleasant surprises. Even though I knew the SuperFast would take me to Bimini in 2 and ½ hours, it was a thrill for me to speed through the water in a ship that size. The ship is spotless and the free meals they offered were pretty good. I played blackjack on the ship and thought I’d spend my time in the casino at the resort once we got to the island. It’s a full-scale, top- of-the-line casino. I played some roulette there but the view of the beach was too much to resist. It was so stunning–even more beautiful than my favorite spot in Miami–I spent two wonderful days lounging and did some touring in Alice Town. The staff both on the ship and at the resort treated me like a queen. I couldn’t believe I got so much luxury for such affordable prices. I’ll treat myself again to another getaway…and next time I’ll bring a friend.

2. JuJu Wang says:

The Superfast ship affords tremendous accessibility to this exotic place in a very timely and inexpensive manner. While the ship provides fun food, drinks, entertainment and of course gambling as do casinos in Florida, this one also provides you with the Bimini experience itself which is a soothing, laid back island atmosphere you rarely find in Florida outside of the Keys. The cost is low and the value of the experience is high. It is a great thing.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Darrell Langham's miraculous 28-yard catch set up Michael Badgley's game-winning field goa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play Sunday evening at the 2017 Oracle/ITA ...

The University of Miami women's rowing team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule on ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami volleyball team demonstrated skill on both sides of the ball Sunday, sweepin ...