V's Take

Dear V: I’m nothing without my right-hand skank…

V,

I recently “broke up” with my best friend and I have no one to accompany me when I go out. I’m okay with being by myself, and I can make new friends, it’s just difficult mustering up the courage to go places on my own.  I don’t want to go to bars by myself or eat alone, it just feels weird. How do I go about getting myself out of this slump?

Sincerely,

All by myself

Dear Cady Heron,

We have all gone through this. And although your Regina George has made life miserable for you recently, there will always be a Damian and Janis to have your back.

Turn to the people that have always silently been there for you. Flashy Facebook posts and long dedications on Instagram aren’t what makes a friendship.

I’m familiar with the fear that overcomes us when we are forced to go anywhere alone, but it is oddly relaxing going somewhere to just eat and think. Take a lunch break at the food court and just chill and people-watch. You’d be amazed at the things you’ll notice and the problems you can sort out on your own.

My best advice in this situation is to just put up a giant middle finger, get dressed up and put yourself in a new situation. Maybe go out with your coworkers or those kids from your class project.

You’re a strong independent person and you don’t need an army of skanks to make you feel better.

Advice Columnist

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

University leaders from the Americas explore creating a Hemispheric University Consortium to work to ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...