News Briefs 9/12

9/11 VIGIL

A Sept. 11 Remembrance Memorial was held on Wednesday. The evening included guest speakers, poets, and the acapella group BisCaydence singing the “National Anthem” and “God Bless America” with the colors presented by the Army ROTC Honor Guard.

IBIS RIDE

PIER 21 will provide free pizza and drinks from 9 to 11 p.m. Thursday at Stanford Circle for the kick-off of the Ibis Ride service, which operates from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m.  Thursday and Friday nights. Students board at Stanford Circle with a Cane Card and are dropped off at CocoWalk in Coconut Grove.

FLU SHOT

Flu shots are now available at the Student Health Service and will be available at off-site locations such as Stanford/Hecht, Mahoney/Pearson, the university green, and the RSMAS library. To see the exact dates and locations, visit miami.edu/sa/index.php/student_health_center/flu_season/.  Schedule an appointment online at mystudenthealth.miami.edu.

READING SERIES

As part of the “IBIS Literary Reading Series: Three Poets, One Night,” new poetry faculty  member Jaswinder Bolina, alumnus Neil de la Flor and visiting poet Oliver de la Paz will be performing at 7 p.m. on Thursday at the CAS Gallery at Wesley House on the Coral Gables campus. The event is free and open to the public.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Previous articleSafety Fair alerts campus of new texting ban
Next articleChartwells employees walk out of work, protest wages
Ashley Martinez
Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.