Campus Life, News

Ibis Ride Kick-Off celebrates free, safe ride to the Grove

The Ibis Ride Shuttle that takes students to and from Coconut Grove had a kick-off celebration Thursday night.

The event, hosted by Pier 21, took place at Stanford Circle — the pick-up location for the shuttles — and offered free pizza and drinks to students as they left to the Grove.

Student Government Press Secretary Adam Orshan advocated the shuttle’s goal to facilitate transportation for students.

“The Ibis ride in general is a free and safe shuttle for students to take to Coconut Grove and back,” he said. “So the purpose of tonight, this is the first night it runs, that’s why it’s the Ibis Ride Kick-Off, is we want to make sure students are aware that they have the option to take the Ibis Ride to the Grove. It is safe. It is free. You’re not driving or anything else like that.”

Many freshmen like Alan Li who are not allowed to have cars on campus took advantage of the shuttles.

He chose to ride the shuttle because of safety reasons, but he considered costs to be the most important factor. He finds that Ibis Ride is an alternative to paying for a taxi.

“Taking a cab is safe too, that’s what we used to do, but the [Ibis Ride] is free so it’s way more convenient,” he said. “We’re college kids, we can’t pay $20 every Thursday. That adds up.”

Freshman Iliana Blasdell was also concerned about costs and safety. She finds that the Ibis Ride offers the safest option for students heading to the Grove.

“I think it’s definitely better, just because it goes through the school and for costs purposes too,” she said. “It gets really expensive, so it’s nice to just to have that option.”

Students must show their Cane Cards to ride the shuttles. Ibis Ride runs Thursday and Friday nights from 9 p.m. until 2 a.m.

Emily Dabau

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...