UK should follow Miami’s hookup habits

MUG_LaylaHaidrani

Layla Haidrani

Miami – images of sun, sea and sex – right? When I arrived here as an exchange student two weeks ago, I was informed endlessly by those around me – from the shuttle bus driver to the locals – that “Miami is a singles town,” and “everything goes.” This attitude is the reason there exists an embedded hookup culture in Miami. From the Grove and South Beach to frat parties and tailgates, students in Miami have a range of places to go in search of their next hookup.

While I celebrate this, I can’t help but notice that this attitude is starkly different from universities in England, where I have been studying for the past two years. The hookup scene is relatively similar, but the antagonism fostered toward women in the United Kingdom who engage in casual sex is far worse. For university students in England, there is more of a stigma against those who engage in casual sex. A study by the The National Student, a publication for students in the U.K., revealed that half of students would lose respect for female undergraduates who frequently engaged in promiscuous behavior.

In Miami, however, it seems that women are encouraged to enjoy the sexual freedom of their male counterparts. Thus, it is no wonder that the University of Miami was featured in Unigo’s list of the “Top 10 Schools Where Everybody Gets Lucky.” That is not to say that sexually liberated women in Miami are exempt from slander. The word “ratchet” is thrown around by many male students at UM, as I observed at my first tailgate.

Hooking up is not the end-all, be-all of a college experience. Plenty of students have a fulfilling four years without the need to “hookup.” But there are lessons to be learned from UM students. Here, women are not restricted by societal expectations. They can have as much or as little sexual freedom as they desire without fear of disrepute. Slut-shaming and misogyny embedded in universities across the U.K. must come to an end. It’s time to celebrate women’s sexuality.

Layla Haidrani is a senior majoring in history.

Layla Haidrani

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “UK should follow Miami’s hookup habits”

1. Juliana says:

Celebrate women’s sexuality? When girls (or guys) are allowing their bodies to be “prostituted” very freely, it isn’t a celebration of their sexuality, but a real degradation. The human person and the body are so beautiful and sacred! If the girls are being called names by the guys, and are being used by them for their own sexual pleasure–it isn’t a celebration at all.
    Girls and guys should recognize how beautiful and dignified they actually are–and not show off everything, leaving nothing secret. When your letting everything go–you’re saying that the value and beauty of yourself and your body is actually very low, and not precious. If we, men and women, thought a little more about this, then I think that both the girls and guys would get the respect they deserve and desire. No guy is gonna respect you if you’re letting everything hang loose. No girl really respects any guy who is hooking up with every girl. This isn’t just a “girls” issue, but both of us.
    And while we are showing everything off on the outside, and expressing our sexual “freedom”, we are actually loosing what it means to be human, and become empty and superficial inside.
    I say, let’s celebrate the beauty and dignity of the human person! Of men and women! –and doing random hookups isn’t the way of truly celebrating, and being free.

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...