Wake up, seize the daylight hours

Alyssa Jacobsen portfolio shoot, May 14, 2012

Alyssa Jacobson

Few UM students can describe an early morning in Miami. At 7 a.m., the sun glows invitingly, dancing with the warmth it will share throughout the day.

My roommate and I are two of the few early-waking students on campus.

In fact, we are both regularly alive and kicking – actually cooking and working – by 7:30 a.m. Yes, rub your eyes and clear the morning gunk out: I said 7:30 in the morning.

Although this is not a one-time occurrence in our apartment, so many students never see morning’s light, much less afternoon’s.

Granted, UM students were willing to rise at the ungodly hour of 4 a.m. Saturday to tailgate and display their team spirit, but this is a rarity.

The weekend before last, I attended an “early” weekend meeting for a club. The meeting began at 9:30 a.m. and concluded at 12:30 p.m.

Club members’ typical response to the news that they’d have to be up so early: “Can’t we make it any later?” No, it couldn’t. Thus, many rationalized with themselves, “At least I can use the rest of the day to sleep.”

Students aren’t using their time to enjoy the college experience wisely. Rather, they are spending more time either sleeping or complaining about lack of sleep. College is supposed to be the best time of our lives. But four years of hibernation or vampire-like habits can’t possible be the “best time.”

The rest of the world wakes up at 7 a.m. to start the workday. How are these students going to adjust into the workforce? It’s time for a wake up call.

While many students may not be aware of it, there is actually a named disorder for sleeping too much. It’s called hypersomnia. The term classifies a large group of disorders related to excessive daytime sleepiness.

But I will not take the blame when your professor fails to recognize this as a valid reason for not having come to class.

If you care to be diagnosed, the Stanford sleepiness scale is a frequently used subjective measurement of sleepiness.

It is clear why college students complain about the day passing so quickly when they consider waking up at noon to be “early.”

Students who complain about lack of time and sleep – yet spend the entire day sleeping – may want to consider allocating at least one night a week for a good rest. It’s not that hard to avoid working into the early mornings like a nocturnal hamster.

Yes, I understand your Grove nights are an imperative component of your weekly routine – and “Grove days” would not be nearly as cool.

But we must focus on changing these detrimental sleeping habits to remain sane and healthy and to achieve a smooth transition into the real world. The snooze button won’t save you then.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...

A freshman from Stratham, N.H., Rebecca Ripley of the Miami women's basketball team sat down wi ...

University of Miami standout Shakima Wimbley is headed to the 2017 IAAF World Championships in Londo ...