Edge, Music

Top places to get your techno on in Miami

EDGE-techno-venues-illustration1

It blares during campus events and from cars stuck in U.S. 1 traffic. It creates the ambiance in frozen yogurt shops and clothing boutiques. It emanates from almost every bar between Homestead and Bal Harbour. It becomes the heartbeat of the city for the month of March. “It” is techno and, love it or hate it, it’s everywhere.

Before graduating from UM, most students will probably know someone who does (or did) consider themselves a DJ: they pirated a copy of Ableton Live, passed out 100 flyers, “spun” at a few small bars in South Miami, maybe even Coconut Grove, and BOOM! A DJ is born.

With so many up-and-coming DJs, it is inevitable that a lot of Miami’s techno is going to be mediocre at best. With a discerning ear, curious mind and wandering feet, some of the city’s best electronic venues and artists can be discovered.

“On the one hand, you have a big European presence and influence … and then on the other hand you have the cheesy-as-hell bottle poppers,” said SpinnZinn, a local DJ who has been working professionally in clubs like Space and Treehouse for more than seven years.

He agrees that Miami’s electronic music scene varies dramatically.

“It’s an interesting mix,” he said. “But if you search hard enough, you can find that ‘#qualitytechno’ sound.”

There are a handful of venues to catch local DJs who have made a name for themselves in this city. Some locals, like Uchi, consider Miami to be “one of the hubs of dance music.”

From the “moody minimal techno” Uchi plays to the “techno and tech house with minimalistic elements” played by SpinnZinn, this dance music hub we call home has enough venues to satisfy any techno craving.

Space

With three huge rooms and a rare 24-hour liquor license, Space has been one of the pillars of downtown nightlife for more than 13 years.

Outside is a typical “warehouse-gone-club,” but the inside is one of few venues that consistently delivers techno and house music well into the following day, often with closing times after noon.

This lavishly outfitted venue is guaranteed to be packed on any weekend night and has featured big-name DJs such as David Guetta, Danny Tenaglia and Deep Dish.

Space is located at 34 NE 11th St.

Treehouse

Amid the hustle and bustle of Miami Beach tourist traps is Treehouse, a moderately sized, casual venue for underground electronic music.

Being much less posh than Space and LIV, Treehouse is a bit off the beaten path. To keep things fresh, decor changes regularly and the theme will change ranging from hip-hop to techno to Latin music.

While the ambiance is casual, the drink prices are not exactly student-friendly.

Treehouse is located at 323 23rd St.

The Electric Pickle

Inside of a modest, typical Midtown building lies The Electric Pickle, describing itself as “an intimate, liquor-fueled love machine, designed as a forum for creative expression and cross-cultural exploration, geared towards the discerning music enthusiast.”

The two-story venue, simply referred to as The Pickle by regulars, is intimately designed for a capacity of 300 people divided between two rooms and an outdoor patio. With underground favorites like Nicolas Jaar and Mount Kimbie gracing the custom Dynacord sound system and an atmosphere defined by a giant, circular light fixture that pulses with the music, it’s understandable why this place is one of the most popular bars in Wynwood.

The Electric Pickle is located at 2826 N. Miami Ave.

Authors

Morgan Coleman

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

One pitch. One moment. That, more or less, has become University of Miami baseball coach Jim Morris’ ...

You can read all the latest details about the UM quarterback battle in my Thursday post here. Meanwh ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

Playing its second match of the evening, the No. 39 Miami women's tennis team shut out Longwood ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team picked up a dominant 5-2 road win over Virginia Tech to op ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team fell at home, 7-0, against third-ranked University of ...

Junior safety Jaquan Johnson knows what it takes to be a Hurricane football player and this fall the ...

The University of Miami track and field team is back in action this weekend, competing at the Michae ...