Saturday’s win brings fans to tears

MUG_StephParra

Stephanie Parra

I remember the day my acceptance letter arrived in the mail. I was too nervous to open the envelope, so I handed it to my younger brother so he could read it and tell me the news. I was in.

I’ll never forget how we reacted. We jumped up and down and giggled a la Patrick and Spongebob. But the giggles turned to happy tears. Fast-forward almost four years, and my brother and I are both enrolled at the University of Miami. For us, two first-generation college students, the school has introduced us to the ways and importance of following collegiate tradition.

I’m proud of my school. And I’m proud of what it’s accomplished since I first began college at UM in 2010. Since then, we’ve climbed the U.S. News rankings and become first in Florida. We built a multimillion-dollar structure other schools could only dream of, and we’ve stood tall throughout all the trouble with NCAA allegations.

Given all that pride, you won’t be surprised to hear that I shed tears again at the end of Saturday’s game against UF. As a freshman, I remember reporting for The Miami Hurricane about the rivals’ apple of discord, the War Canoe Trophy. I remember wondering what its fate would be after this year’s game. It’s ours for good. Not because we won, but because it’s already ours. And also because we won. Just kidding, it was going to stay ours anyway.

So, at the end of the game, while everyone sang about our southern sun and sky blue water, I stood there crying tears of joy. I got goosebumps while staring at the scoreboard and the smiles on faces of students around me. I couldn’t be prouder to be a Miami Hurricane.

Stephanie Parra is a senior majoring in journalism and political science.

About Author

Stephanie Parra Editor-in-chief

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Saturday’s win brings fans to tears”

1. Felipe Lobon says:

I can relate. Out of High-school I was a bit of a screwup and I got rejected from Miami (naturally my number first choice, and at that point my brothers alma mater as well). I spent the next year working harder than I had ever worked in my life to be able to transfer to the U. To this day I still count my transfer as one of the proudest moments in my life! Saturdays’ defeat of the Gator left me in tears of delirious joy… like fo’ realsies.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO C-A-N-E-S CANES!

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...