Community, Edge

South Miami stores some of area’s best-kept secrets

[imagebrowser id=3] [fresh_divider style=”solid”]

The center of South Miami is only a few blocks from our Gables campus, but most UM students have not ventured past Buffalo Wild Wings at Sunset. A favorite of locals and visitors, South Miami has some of the city’s best happy hours, shops and deals. Check out The Miami Hurricane’s top picks for this fun area.

SHOPPING

Rather than attempt to navigate the disaster that is Forever 21 for your last minute South Beach outfit, pop into one of the many boutiques hidden throughout South Miami’s streets.

Blush Boutique

One of the better-known boutiques in the area, Blush Boutique has new arrivals every Monday, ranging from casual daytime to semi-formal and everything in between. This boutique also has all of the items you’ll need to complete your look, including shoes, accessories and intimate items (i.e. those essential “sticky boobs”). With prices starting as low as $19 and a great selection of unique finds, Blush should be at the top of every girl’s go-to shopping list.

Blush Boutique is located at 5784 Sunset Drive, South Miami.

Ohm Boutique

For a more boho-chic look, take a quick walk down to Ohm Boutique. Not only does the store carry the latest trends, but it also has a wide variety of bikinis and plenty of cover-ups to complete the look. Accessory lovers will be happy to find that Ohm Boutique also carries an array of purses and jewelry to take any outfit to the next level.

With a solid price range and tons of outfits for any occasion, a trip to Ohm beats Charlotte Russe’s clearance bins any day.

Ohm Boutique is located at 1561 Sunset Drive, Coral Gables.

HAPPY HOUR

If your happy hour routine is limited to cheap beer at the Rat and a monthly visit to the Lowe, you are seriously missing out. Boasting some of the area’s best deals, you’d be a fool to not check out these happy hour specials.

Sunset Tavern

The winner of Miami New Times’ Best Happy Hour of 2013 is an easy-going tavern that offers an awesome happy hour menu with $1 and $2 appetizers with the purchase of an alcoholic beverage from 4 to 7 p.m. on weekdays. If that’s not tempting enough, bring your Cane Card and ID on Thursdays and get $1 drinks. Can’t make it during daytime happy hour? “Late Night” Happy Hour takes place Sundays and Mondays from midnight to 3 a.m. with half-off drinks and late-night munchies until 2 a.m.

Sunset Tavern is located at 7230 SW 59 Ave., South Miami.

Town

Thursdays at Town Kitchen & Bar may be heaven for ladies. From 4 to 7 p.m., ladies can enjoy free champagne and half off signature martinis from 4 p.m. till close. Although they certainly cater to females, half-off drinks are offered every day from 4-7 p.m. for anyone who wants in on the happy hour action. Other deals include half-off select wine bottles on Tuesdays and 2-for-1 pitchers of Mimosas or Bloody Marys for weekend brunch. While the deals may be great, do your best to stay classy. (This isn’t Sandbar).

Town Kitchen & Bar is at 7301 SW 57th Court, South Miami.

GOING OUT

If you’re tired of elbowing your way to the bar through a sea of freshmen at the Grove, but don’t want to cab it all the way to Brickell or the Beach, South Miami has just what you’re looking for.

Brewskis

The Great Wall of Beer outside of this craft beer bar should be reason enough to draw you inside. This newly renovated bar has more than 400 different craft beer selections with every category imaginable. Whether you’re a fan of I.P.A.’s, lagers, Belgians or stouts, this place has it all. Massive selection aside, Brewskis has friendly, knowledgeable bartenders that are willing and able to help you step outside of your Miller Lite comfort zone. Brewskis also has great deals and activities throughout the week, including half-off draft beer from 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays, Tuesday Bingo (with prizes), Karaoke Thursdays and a $4 craft beer menu on Wednesdays with 100 selections to choose from. Best part of it all? You can take home any beer on tap in a signature Brewskis Growler and enjoy your newfound favorite in the comfort of your own place.

Brewskis is at 5835 Sunset Drive, Miami.

Caitlin Driscoll

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...