Soccer, Sports

Middleton’s goal in double OT rescues Canes

It took extra time for the second consecutive game, but the Miami women’s soccer team moved to 3-0 on the season with a road win over UW-Milwaukee at Engelmann Stadium on Sunday.

One week after winning at Jacksonville, 3-2 in overtime, Miami defeated the Panthers 2-1 in double overtime. Freshman midfielder Betsy Middleton gave the Hurricanes the win over UW-Milwaukee (0-4) in the 105th minute. It was her first career goal.

“It feels unbelievable,” Middleton said. “I knew that I needed to do something as the only replacement on the field in double overtime. It was just a surreal moment.”

Miami struck with the first goal of the match in the closing minutes of the first half. Senior defender Tara Schwitter scored on a chip shot in the 43rd minute off an assist from fellow senior Blake Stockton. Junior goalkeeper Emily Lillard was in net for the first half, but was replaced by freshman Catalina Perez for the remainder of the contest. Perez, a Boca Raton native, had four saves and allowed Milwaukee’s lone goal.

The Hurricanes will take on Cleveland State at 7 p.m. Friday at Cobb Stadium. The Vikings are 2-2 this season and have lost their last two games, each by a score of 1-0. Sophomore forward Vickie Havas has been a key member of the CSU attack, leading the team in both shots (11) and shots on goal (six).

Miami’s game against Cleveland State will be its final non-conference home game of the 2013 season. After playing the Vikings, the Canes hit the road to play Florida Atlantic on Sunday before kicking off ACC play at Duke next week.

Alex Schwartz

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...