Fair wages should follow high ideals

Schwind

Schwind

It takes $12.23 an hour to lead a dignified life in Miami, according to Miami-Dade County’s official Living Wage. But the food service workers at our university make wages as low as $9.30. Many rely on public benefits to cover basic needs and still struggle to make ends meet.

Chartwells workers on campus fought last year for the right to negotiate a fair contract with their employer and to be represented by a union. They won, but Chartwells has offered such low yearly pay increases that they barely offset inflation. The offer would put workers below the poverty line for years to come. Thus, workers have decided to go on strike if Chartwells doesn’t improve its offer.

Even though the University of Miami controls the contract with Chartwells, UM has publicly denied any responsibility for fixing the situation. It would, however, be naive to believe that UM has no control over how much the workers on our campus are being paid. In 2006, UM set minimum wages for all employers on campus and promised to review those numbers on a yearly basis.

Our university has the moral responsibility to ensure that everybody who works for this community earns the means to lead a dignified life. UM is a proud institution of higher learning and needs to be held to the same high moral standards that are expected from students, faculty members and employees. So how is it not hypocritical to celebrate the luxurious $46 million student center while turning a blind eye on those who serve us daily?

The fact that our university saves money by paying workers starvation wages is a scandal. UM administrators might be able to keep the contract with Chartwells cheap by officially remaining neutral, but this means poverty for more than 300 members of the UM community.

In 2006, a similar situation escalated into a major campuswide strike. Nobody wants to see a repeat of those events, but chances are this will happen again. It’s in President Shalala’s hands to avoid another escalation by making sure workers make living wages.

Philipp Schwind is a graduate student in philosophy.

Philipp Schwind

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Fair wages should follow high ideals”

1. Chris Alligood says:

What about personal responsibility!! You get paid for what the value of the work you do is worth… Not what you FEEL you deserve…. How about getting 2 jobs if that is what is needed to support your family. That’s what we do here in America we take responsibility and do what has to be done to take care of our loved ones….not work a part time job and expect someone else to help support your family!! Wake up and get to work !!

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...