Football, Sports

Canes overpower Florida Atlantic in season opener

Junior wide reciever Phillip Dorsett (4) and junior tight end Clive Walford (46) celebrate after a touchdown during Friday night's season opener against FAU at Sunlife Stadium.  The Canes won 34 to 6. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Junior wide reciever Phillip Dorsett (4) and junior tight end Clive Walford (46) celebrate after a touchdown during Friday night’s season opener against FAU at Sunlife Stadium. The Canes won 34 to 6. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Duke Johnson ran wild over the Florida Atlantic University Owls as the Canes posted a 34-6 win in their season opener.

The sophomore sensation had 186 yards on the ground, plus a 38-yard reception. Johnson also hurdled a defender and broke free on a 53- yard touchdown run.

50,151 fans created a lot of buzz inside Sun Life Stadium, mostly packed into the lower bowl where more than 7,700 students filed in.

It was Miami’s first meeting with the Owls, whose campus is located in Boca Raton.

“Give Florida Atlantic a lot of credit – they played hard and they made us earn it,” coach Al Golden said. “We were overzealous a little bit with some penalties early in the game. We dropped some passes that we hadn’t been dropping. Our timing wasn’t where it needed to be in some instances, but I thought our guys played hard.”

Senior quarterback Stephen Morris – inconsistent at times Friday night – threw for 160 yards and a touchdown, though freshman receiver Stacy Coley dropped two potential scores.

Morris, the veteran anchor of what promises to be a high-powered offense, was asked about his anticipation for next Saturday’s game against the University of Florida.

“Crazy. It’s going to be a crazy one and everyone knows that,” he said. “It’s a game we’ve been waiting on for four years. We haven’t played these guys in four years, and we know they’re bringing their best and we’re going to bring our best too.”

The Canes will have to improve in several key areas to get past the No. 10 Gators. Florida scored just 24 points in its opening win over Toledo, but gets two starters back from suspension.

Golden said Miami’s third-down offense can make the difference in the time of possession and field position battles. The Hurricanes were 4-for-14 in those situations against an Owls defense that surrendered 503 total yards.

The 1983 national champion Hurricanes were in attendance for a halftime ceremony honoring the 30-year anniversary of their Orange Bowl triumph. Coach Howard Schnellenberger proudly lifted Miami’s first crystal football alongside President Donna E. Shalala and more than 50 of his players.

Spencer Dandes

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded the 2017 season ranked No. 25 in the country, as announ ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2017 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 25-27 at the U ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...