Football, Sports

Canes overpower Florida Atlantic in season opener

Junior wide reciever Phillip Dorsett (4) and junior tight end Clive Walford (46) celebrate after a touchdown during Friday night's season opener against FAU at Sunlife Stadium.  The Canes won 34 to 6. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Junior wide reciever Phillip Dorsett (4) and junior tight end Clive Walford (46) celebrate after a touchdown during Friday night’s season opener against FAU at Sunlife Stadium. The Canes won 34 to 6. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Duke Johnson ran wild over the Florida Atlantic University Owls as the Canes posted a 34-6 win in their season opener.

The sophomore sensation had 186 yards on the ground, plus a 38-yard reception. Johnson also hurdled a defender and broke free on a 53- yard touchdown run.

50,151 fans created a lot of buzz inside Sun Life Stadium, mostly packed into the lower bowl where more than 7,700 students filed in.

It was Miami’s first meeting with the Owls, whose campus is located in Boca Raton.

“Give Florida Atlantic a lot of credit – they played hard and they made us earn it,” coach Al Golden said. “We were overzealous a little bit with some penalties early in the game. We dropped some passes that we hadn’t been dropping. Our timing wasn’t where it needed to be in some instances, but I thought our guys played hard.”

Senior quarterback Stephen Morris – inconsistent at times Friday night – threw for 160 yards and a touchdown, though freshman receiver Stacy Coley dropped two potential scores.

Morris, the veteran anchor of what promises to be a high-powered offense, was asked about his anticipation for next Saturday’s game against the University of Florida.

“Crazy. It’s going to be a crazy one and everyone knows that,” he said. “It’s a game we’ve been waiting on for four years. We haven’t played these guys in four years, and we know they’re bringing their best and we’re going to bring our best too.”

The Canes will have to improve in several key areas to get past the No. 10 Gators. Florida scored just 24 points in its opening win over Toledo, but gets two starters back from suspension.

Golden said Miami’s third-down offense can make the difference in the time of possession and field position battles. The Hurricanes were 4-for-14 in those situations against an Owls defense that surrendered 503 total yards.

The 1983 national champion Hurricanes were in attendance for a halftime ceremony honoring the 30-year anniversary of their Orange Bowl triumph. Coach Howard Schnellenberger proudly lifted Miami’s first crystal football alongside President Donna E. Shalala and more than 50 of his players.

Spencer Dandes

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...