Football, Sports

Canes overpower Florida Atlantic in season opener

Junior wide reciever Phillip Dorsett (4) and junior tight end Clive Walford (46) celebrate after a touchdown during Friday night's season opener against FAU at Sunlife Stadium.  The Canes won 34 to 6. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Junior wide reciever Phillip Dorsett (4) and junior tight end Clive Walford (46) celebrate after a touchdown during Friday night’s season opener against FAU at Sunlife Stadium. The Canes won 34 to 6. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Duke Johnson ran wild over the Florida Atlantic University Owls as the Canes posted a 34-6 win in their season opener.

The sophomore sensation had 186 yards on the ground, plus a 38-yard reception. Johnson also hurdled a defender and broke free on a 53- yard touchdown run.

50,151 fans created a lot of buzz inside Sun Life Stadium, mostly packed into the lower bowl where more than 7,700 students filed in.

It was Miami’s first meeting with the Owls, whose campus is located in Boca Raton.

“Give Florida Atlantic a lot of credit – they played hard and they made us earn it,” coach Al Golden said. “We were overzealous a little bit with some penalties early in the game. We dropped some passes that we hadn’t been dropping. Our timing wasn’t where it needed to be in some instances, but I thought our guys played hard.”

Senior quarterback Stephen Morris – inconsistent at times Friday night – threw for 160 yards and a touchdown, though freshman receiver Stacy Coley dropped two potential scores.

Morris, the veteran anchor of what promises to be a high-powered offense, was asked about his anticipation for next Saturday’s game against the University of Florida.

“Crazy. It’s going to be a crazy one and everyone knows that,” he said. “It’s a game we’ve been waiting on for four years. We haven’t played these guys in four years, and we know they’re bringing their best and we’re going to bring our best too.”

The Canes will have to improve in several key areas to get past the No. 10 Gators. Florida scored just 24 points in its opening win over Toledo, but gets two starters back from suspension.

Golden said Miami’s third-down offense can make the difference in the time of possession and field position battles. The Hurricanes were 4-for-14 in those situations against an Owls defense that surrendered 503 total yards.

The 1983 national champion Hurricanes were in attendance for a halftime ceremony honoring the 30-year anniversary of their Orange Bowl triumph. Coach Howard Schnellenberger proudly lifted Miami’s first crystal football alongside President Donna E. Shalala and more than 50 of his players.

Spencer Dandes

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...