News Briefs 8/29

Open Hearts, Open Mind

Acclaimed journalist Lisa Ling will be speaking at UM’s 2013 Fall Convocation on Monday, Sept. 9 at 4 p.m. at the Bank United Center. She will be presenting “Open Heart, Open Mind” and the event is free for students, but a ticket is required for entry. Tickets can be requested at lisaling.eventbrite.com with the password lisaling2013. A ‘Cane Card is also required for entry.

Poets and Writers Welcome
The Creative Writing Program will be hosting the free event “Poet and Writers Welcome” on Friday, Aug. 30, from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. in the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery. Visiting writer in fiction, R. Zamora Linmark, will be speaking as will Jaswinder Bolina, the newest member of the Creative Writing faculty in poetry.

Orientation Outreach
Orientation Outreach will be Saturday, Aug. 31 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Butler Center for Service and Leadership will be introducing first-year students to volunteerism within the Miami community. Students will learn more about service opportunities and meet other students with similar interests.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...