News Briefs 8/29

Open Hearts, Open Mind

Acclaimed journalist Lisa Ling will be speaking at UM’s 2013 Fall Convocation on Monday, Sept. 9 at 4 p.m. at the Bank United Center. She will be presenting “Open Heart, Open Mind” and the event is free for students, but a ticket is required for entry. Tickets can be requested at lisaling.eventbrite.com with the password lisaling2013. A ‘Cane Card is also required for entry.

Poets and Writers Welcome
The Creative Writing Program will be hosting the free event “Poet and Writers Welcome” on Friday, Aug. 30, from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. in the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery. Visiting writer in fiction, R. Zamora Linmark, will be speaking as will Jaswinder Bolina, the newest member of the Creative Writing faculty in poetry.

Orientation Outreach
Orientation Outreach will be Saturday, Aug. 31 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Butler Center for Service and Leadership will be introducing first-year students to volunteerism within the Miami community. Students will learn more about service opportunities and meet other students with similar interests.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...