Edge, Music

Florida to host diverse genres during September

Miami is a city of a thousand sounds, but with so many performances happening at once, it can be easy to get lost in the music scene. September promises to be a month of great shows, with concerts and festivals ranging from hip-hop to folk-rock to house and EDM.

Monday Nights: The Miami Jazz Jam Churchill’s Pub

For those who prefer the bar scene to the clubs, check out Churchill’s Pub on NE Second Avenue. Stop by on a Monday to enjoy a night of jazz, as well as Theatre de Underground, an ongoing Open Mic series. This event, which has been happening for more than 10 years, runs from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. and is open to those over 18.

Sunday: Knife Party 

Mansion Nightclub

Start September off right with the electro-house duo deemed the biggest breakout group of 2012. For anyone who missed the two at Ultra this year, now is the perfect time to head down to South Beach and see them. It’s tricky to get there without a car, so if you can’t get a ride, grab some friends and rent a Zipcar.

Sept. 6: Zedd 

The Fillmore Miami beach

If you spent all summer blasting Clarity in your car, you should check out Zedd at the Fillmore. The producer and DJ, who has remixed songs for Lady Gaga and produced Justin Bieber’s track “Beauty and a Beat,” is sure to put on a great show.

Sept. 8: John Mayer 

Cruzan Amphitheatre

Come out to the Cruzan Amphitheatre to hear the newest John Mayer songs. Mayer is currently on the road debuting his latest album, “Paradise Alley,” which many see as some of his strongest work. The Cruzan Amphitheatre is a little over an hour away in West Palm Beach, so load up the car or use the Tri-Rail.

Sept. 10: J. Cole 

the James L. Knight Center

For anyone who would rather hear hip-hop than guitar riffs, J. Cole is heading down to Florida on the 10th to promote his album “Born Sinner” at the James L. Knight Center, which is less than a 20-minute drive from campus.

Sept. 14: Kaskade 

American Airlines Arena

If folk alternative isn’t quite your style, you can check out the Kaskade show instead. The performance, which is a part of his Atmosphere Tour, is at the American Airlines Arena on Biscayne Bay, which is about 20 minutes by car or half an hour by public transit.

Sept. 17: Stone Temple Pilots 

BB&T Center

The Stone Temple Pilots are hosting a show at the BB&T Center this month featuring new lead singer Chester Bennington, formerly of Linkin Park. Located in the suburbs of Fort Lauderdale, the BB&T Center is around a 40-minute drive from campus.

Sept. 20: Thomas Gold 

Story

Serious EDM fans should head to Story on the 20th to experience Thomas Gold, a DJ originally from Berlin with sets that are sure to blow your mind. What started as a YouTube sensation has quickly grown into a club favorite, with plenty of remixes to keep you on your feet all night. The club, located in Miami Beach, is around a half-hour drive.

Sept. 27: The Pretty Reckless 

Revolution Live

Former “Gossip Girl” star Taylor Momsen is hitting the road with her band The Pretty Reckless to debut their sophomore album, “Going to Hell.” The band will be in Fort Lauderdale at the end of September at the newly renovated Revolution Live. With a sound many call old-school rock with a modern twist – not to mention Momsen’s unique vocals – this is sure to be an edgy performance.

This is a twist on the classic battle of the bands. Rather than performing with an established band, participants are matched with three other performers and the “band” has one month to get a set ready. Anyone over 18 is welcome to come out and enjoy.

For more information on these and other shows in the area, you can go to: http://www.miaminewtimes.com/concerts/#/date:2013-08-24/,https://www.songkick.com/metro_areas/9776-us-miami, or http://www.ticketcity.com/miami-tickets.html.

Marlee Lisker

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...