Football, Sports

UM football implements NFL policies

In lieu of printed ticket slips, the UM student ticketing policy will be switching back to Cane Cards. Students are still required to log on to Canestix.com and register for each game.

“Basically, you go on Canestix.com, and that’s where all students can get their tickets,” said Connie Nickel, assistant director of recreational sports and camp. “They don’t actually print them, it’ll be registered on their Cane Cards and they just swipe their Cane Cards at the game.”

Senior Andrew Wyatt, chair of Category 5, believes this new system will be helpful.

“The new ticketing system is convenient for students because they can access their tickets online and transfer them directly to their Cane Card,” he said. “This will make game day run smoothly and allow students to focus on the amazing time they will have at the games this season.”

There has also been a change in seating options. Rather than limiting students to the West end zone, any seats higher than the 11th row in sections 101 to 117 are open to students. Sections 111 to 113 are available in their entirety.

The UM Athletic Department sent a release on Wednesday announcing its decision to implement a new policy for all bags brought into the stadium, which mirrors the new rules used for NFL games.

The policy, which will be in effect for all seven home games at Sun Life stadium, has restricted the type and size of bag that can be taken into the stadium. It was recommended by the NFL’s Stadium Security Committee in May. Because the Canes play in an NFL stadium, the policy will also apply to Hurricane games.

The University of South Florida and the University of Pittsburgh also play in NFL stadiums, and have changed their policies as well.

Fans are allowed to bring a clear plastic, vinyl or PVC  bag into the stadium that does not exceed 12-by-6-by-12 inches. Or, they may bring a one-gallon clear plastic freezer bag.

Small clutch bags or purses approximately the size of a hand – with or without a handle or strap – are also acceptable.

Fans will be allowed to bring in medically necessary items once they have been inspected at Gate E.

Visit canestix.com to confirm ticketed access to football games. For additional information, visit hurricanesports.com/fls/28700/tickets/newsite/Index.html#seating.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...