News briefs 8/26

SAC Opening

The Student Activities Center (SAC) will officially open for students at noon on Monday. President Donna E. Shalala, Provost Thomas LeBlanc, Patricia Whitely, vice-president for student affairs and various undergraduate and graduate student leaders will be at an opening ceremony that will be held to celebrate the opening. The ceremony will take place on the lakeside promenade.

Labor Strike

More than 400 university custodial workers say they are prepared to go on strike unless their terms are met by midnight Saturday, according to a report in The Miami Herald. The strike would begin the next day. Workers gathered last Saturday at St. Bede Episcopal Chapel near campus. They voted to approve the potential strike, and the gathering was followed by a march along U.S. 1.

Memorial Drive

Open roadway access to Memorial Drive ended Monday as part of a new policy to reduce traffic and increase pedestrian and bike safety. Memorial Drive is located between the Cox Science Center and the Richter Library. Students will no longer be able to drive onto Memorial Drive. Only faculty and staff with a business or academic need will be allowed access. The policy will be enforced from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday. The gate will be open from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekdays and all day on weekends.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...