News briefs 8/26

SAC Opening

The Student Activities Center (SAC) will officially open for students at noon on Monday. President Donna E. Shalala, Provost Thomas LeBlanc, Patricia Whitely, vice-president for student affairs and various undergraduate and graduate student leaders will be at an opening ceremony that will be held to celebrate the opening. The ceremony will take place on the lakeside promenade.

Labor Strike

More than 400 university custodial workers say they are prepared to go on strike unless their terms are met by midnight Saturday, according to a report in The Miami Herald. The strike would begin the next day. Workers gathered last Saturday at St. Bede Episcopal Chapel near campus. They voted to approve the potential strike, and the gathering was followed by a march along U.S. 1.

Memorial Drive

Open roadway access to Memorial Drive ended Monday as part of a new policy to reduce traffic and increase pedestrian and bike safety. Memorial Drive is located between the Cox Science Center and the Richter Library. Students will no longer be able to drive onto Memorial Drive. Only faculty and staff with a business or academic need will be allowed access. The policy will be enforced from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday. The gate will be open from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekdays and all day on weekends.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...