Women, Gender Studies program offers minor in LGBTQ studies

The University of Miami introduced a new minor last year.

The Women’s and Gender Studies (WGS) department developed a minor in Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) studies that provides students the opportunity to delve into thinking about sexuality and these communities.

Jared Payne, president of SpectrUM, a student organization that celebrates diversity in sexual orientation and gender identity, is taking a class in gender studies next semester. Payne said that he has never had the chance to study gender and sexuality before attending college.

“As a gay man, it is incredibly important to understand the complexities of gender and sexuality, which is one of many reasons why I am planning on taking a WGS course,” he said.

Breanna Munro, a professor who teaches an introductory course in LBGTQ studies, said that when she was studying for her undergraduate degree in the ‘90s, sexual minorities were never addressed as a topic for study or discussion.

“It was only when I went to grad school that I discovered queer studies,” she said. “It helped me learn about myself as a queer person.”

While Munro agrees that courses in LGBTQ Studies can help individuals like herself and Payne, who represent various sexual minorities in the LGBTQ community, she also sees the minor as attractive to anyone.

“There aren’t that many spaces in our society to have thoughtful thinking about sexuality,” Munro said, “even though sexuality is especially important to young people.”

She finds a LGBTQ minor to be rewarding because it challenges students to think about a subject from different perspectives and disciplines.

The LGBTQ Studies minor examines topics like public policy, relationships and family structures, popular culture, science and language through literature, film, fashion, history and even social media. The minor requires a minimum of 15 credits and is listed as part of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Munro said interdisciplinary studies in WGS courses, like LGBTQ studies, allow students to rethink their basic assumptions about sexuality in a culture that creates very separate, distinct gender definitions.

“Gender and sexuality are such real and important parts of [students’] lives,” she said. “We live in a very sexualized culture, so it’s important to have access to talking about it.”

Payne said that academic discussions about sexual minorities represent a shift for society in the right direction. He believes that the addition of the LGBTQ Studies minor demonstrates a critical interest in understanding and accepting the LGBTQ community.

“I definitely feel that the LGBTQ movement is the next burgeoning civil rights movement in American society,” he said. “It is reassuring that universities nationwide are taking strides in offering curriculum on the subject and providing support to their students.”

Chloe Herring

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...