UM Bucket List

Graduation seems far away when you’re a freshman and just getting to know your way around Miami and the university. Before you know it, you’ll be wearing your cap and gown. But before the next four years are up, there are certain things that every UM student has to do like attend a tailgate or throw up the U with President Donna E. Shalala. Here is a list of things you have to do before graduating UM. Start working on checking them off your bucket list.

Befriend a UM athlete

Go to a baseball game and have a shake

Most people attend a football game or two during their time at UM – even if it is just to tailgate. But not many students realize the perks of going to a baseball game. Not only is the park on campus, but one of the concession stands includes something that you won’t find at Sun Life Stadium: milkshakes. Whether you want plain vanilla or maybe chocolate mint, there’s no doubt you’ll find the flavor that will tickle your fancy. Make your way to a game to cheer on the Canes and try these famous milkshakes.

Study in the stacks of the Richter Library

Jump off the diving board at the pool

Several swimmers on the UM team have moved on to pursue Olympic medals – but you don’t have to be an Olympian to try this freeing activity. There are two levels of diving boards to choose from – so why not climb to the top, hold your breath and take the plunge? You’ll be glad you did so on a bright, sunny Miami day.

Attend commencement

Have a beer at the Rat 

Having a beer at the Rat on the day of your 21st birthday has almost become a rite of passage among the most loyal of Canes. If  you missed having a beer on the date of your 21st, however, round up your friends and make time in your schedule to partake in this and make up for lost time. Nothing else beats heading to the Rat after a hectic Thursday and drowning your sorrows in fattening alcoholic beverages. Twenty-one-year-olds only, though!

Jump in fountains

A plunge in Lake Osceola can get you expelled, but a quick dip of the toes inside any of the fountains at UM never hurt anyone. So if you’re in the mood for a refreshing activity, make a tiny splash at the fountains.

Stargaze from the rooftop of the music school or the Ungar building 

Nap in the hammocks during finals week

Finals can be stressful. Studying a whole semester’s worth of material is daunting and just plain boring. But if you’re tired of staring at the four walls of your dorm room or feeling burdened from the tension in Richter, the U knows exactly how to cure your finals stress. If you stop studying for a minute and take a walk, you’ll find several hammocks around campus. Treat yourself to a nap on one of these and it’ll be the best rest you can have during finals week.

Watch a play at the Ring Theatre, a movie at the Cosford Cinema or a performance at Gusman Hall

Miami is known for its arts and culture, but you don’t need to venture off campus to explore it. You can find incredible musical performances at Gusman Hall, amazing productions at the Ring Theatre and popular movies at Cosford, all on campus. Take a break from the South Beach and Wynwood scenes; it’ll save you gas, and you won’t be surrounded by hipsters.

Go to a UM sporting event

Pep rally at the Rock

Teach someone not to walk on the UM seal in front of the bookstore

When you were a kid, the saying was “don’t step on the crack, or you’ll break your mother’s back.” At UM, it’s “don’t step on the seal in front of the bookstore, or you won’t graduate.” Though this myth is probably not true, it’s always important to maintain respect for the U. Even though the former SG administration put up velvet ropes to remind us not to step on the seal, there’s always a curious freshman wandering by the bookstore who wonders about the purpose of the ropes. Make Sebastian proud, and teach an inquisitive soul a thing or two about tradition.

Attend the official class ring ceremony

Pose for a photo with Sebastian at the U statue

Sure, it seems cheesy,  but you most likely already have a picture with Sebastian or the U statue. Combine both for a shot that will show your pride of the U. At first, it might be hard to find Sebastian hanging around the statue. But if you’re at the right place at the right time, you’ll be able to snag a new profile picture.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...