Senior launches app

UM senior Tyler McIntyre has been an entrepreneur from a young age. Now he is using his experience in his latest venture – phone apps.

With a friendly, laid-back disposition, McIntyre lives for his work. He wears a T-shirt promoting his newly launched app, Postkard, which allows users to send a physical postcard right from their iPhone anywhere in the world for 99 cents.

“I love the ability to create something that creates a larger impact on the world,” McIntyre said.

In 2006, the summer before high school, McIntyre’s bug for business emerged. After reading a prediction on the future success of VoIP, voice over internet protocol, which sends phone signals through the internet, he began researching.

“I didn’t know how to write code or make a website, so I just decided I’d learn or find people who could help,” McIntyre said.

With a loan from his grandfather, McIntyre started his own VoIP phone company and outsourced everything he could, including support and billing. Soon his company, Vigor Tel, was competing with Vonage and other firms. He said he had users from all over the world. He sold the company in 2009.

In 2010, he developed his first app, Lucid Messenger, a cross-messaging platform, in his Stanford Residential College dorm room. Lucid let smartphone owners text within a medium similar to a BlackBerry Messenger. The app was named one of “America’s Coolest College Start-Ups” in 2011 by Inc. Magazine.

McIntyre entered Lucid in the Launch Pad’s Elevator Pitch Contest and won the grand prize in the student category – along with about $40,000 worth of prizes and services.

He decided to move on when the market became crowded, with pressure coming from the popular WhatsApp, and rumors of more competition brewing from industry giants such as Apple and Google.

Until developing Postkard, McIntyre spent his time developing and investing in companies like Mine2Share, Quantum, a credit card processing app, and as a co-founder and chief technical officer for MonaBar, a cash-back reward company for online shopping.

Michael R. Davis

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...