Online courses grow in popularity, provide flexibility

Part-time student Jennifer Leal maintained her full-time job in Kendall because of the online program through UM’s Bachelor of General Studies degree.

“If it wasn’t for this program and the flexibility of online classes, I don’t think I would be in school, especially one like UM,” she said.

The Division of Continuing Studies and International Education (DCIE) administers 11 online courses that fulfill the university’s general requirements. Last semester, 90 students were enrolled in online classes through DCIE, according to Craig Wilson, the executive director for the Online College Program.

UM began offering online courses two years ago, originally intended only for students in the BGS program. However, according to Wilson, the courses were officially opened to the general student body last summer.

“Students expressed a desire,” he said. “The office is looking into continuing this next semester.”

The online options are only available for the first two years of the BGS program and then students are required to attend physical classes, usually during the evening, on a part-time basis.

Students’ motivation for enrolling in online courses was flexibility, said Wilson. The courses are offered year-round.

Students like sophomore Nour Ghaddar believed that more online classes can help students adapt to the future of education.

“People want to get the feel of a more technologically driven world,” she said. “It also benefits those with jobs and internships.”

However, online courses may have benefited certain students more than others, said Mildred Triana, an academic advisor for the College of Arts and Science.

“It takes someone who is responsible to go online daily to post and respond to discussions,” she said.

In comparison to other schools, however, UM does not have a complete undergraduate online degree program. It does not offer courses beyond the introductory level.

In Florida, the University of Florida has a distance-learning program in which bachelor’s in health, business and criminology can be earned. Florida State University also has undergraduate programs in computer science and public safety and security.

Recognized universities in the Ivy League system have also developed limited degree programs. Columbia University provides opportunities to earn a Master of Science or Professional Degree through online courses.

Distance-learning, a formal term for online classes, also continued to evolve with the appearance of iTunes U. This allowed users to download free university lectures in the same way that users access music and videos.

Wilson hoped to expand on online offerings by drawing on examples from the established programs at other institutions.

“We have our eyes on things that are bigger,” he said. “It has been good to be in the middle of the pack because we can cherry-pick the best benchmarks to expand our online program.”

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...