Minor in teaching offered license upon graduation

Many college students had one goal after graduation – to find a job.

UM’s School of Education and Human Development offered students a real advantage in today’s tough economy with the professional training option (PTO) minor.

The Florida Department of Education developed the PTO, an 18-credit minor that gives non-education majors the opportunity to become certified secondary school teachers (grades 6-12) in the state of Florida.

“PTO is a wonderful opportunity to have a back-up plan after college,” said Gina Astorini, director of undergraduate academic services and PTO advisor. “Especially since jobs are scarce, this gives students a path to their professional careers.”

Students needed to have a teachable major to be declared as a PTO minor, which has been offered since 2007. Teachable subjects included English, math, science, social studies, foreign languages and fine arts.

A student’s major, however, did not have to be specifically in English or science. The student needed to have general knowledge of the teachable subject in order to sit for the certification exam.

Senior Nicola Gonsalves was in secondary education, but switched to the PTO minor because it gave her the opportunity to major in psychology and math, and still become a teacher.

“I’ve always wanted to be a teacher,” she said. “I have a passion for it, and I like to take something that seems so difficult and make it simpler to understand. With the PTO, I was able to pick up psychology because I thought it would be good to know for a teaching career.”

Students can complete the minor within three consecutive semesters and then take the Florida Teacher Certification Exam and appropriate Subject Area Exam.

Upon passing the FTCE, the graduate receives a two-year temporary license to teach in Florida. After one year of teaching, the individual can apply for the five-year permanent license.

“It’s a great add-on for students who are far along in their major and would like to consider teaching after they graduate, but don’t necessarily have the time to complete a double major,” said Miriam Lipsky, manager of the school’s Project Include,  a federally-funded program that prepares teachers to instruct and support children with special needs.

Andrea Jacobo

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

Despite a career-best nine saves by Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the Miami soccer team dropped a 1-0 road d ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...