Drive-ins feature free movies

Hurricane Productions is going to new heights to entertain UM students by screening movies at the top of the Pavia Garage.

In February, HP, the Cinematic Arts Commission and Canes Night Live will hosted UM’s first drive-in movie on campus.

Students were invited to the top floor of Pavia to watch a Disney classic, “Hercules,” while munching on free Incredible Kettle Corn, a popular staple at Wednesday’s Farmers Market.

“A drive-in movie is something you hear about, but something you never really see,” HP chair John Lake said. “Bringing one to campus and letting people have this experience is something they’re not going to get anywhere else.”

Lake said the group had discussed the idea of a drive-in but had trouble with the logistics. But thanks to the recent addition to the top of Pavia, the extra parking area will now provide the needed space.

“The last time I went to a drive-in was when I was really little, but I remember loving the environment,” sophomore Alyssa Federico said. “That’s why I was so excited when I heard we were having one on campus. My friends and I are already planning to take my car.”

Similar to HP’s “dive-in” movie held at the UC pool each fall, this spring’s drive-in has the potential to become an annual event.

Elyse Mowle, chair of the Cinematic Arts Commission, has found success in showing Disney movies.

“Disney movies get our biggest audience,” Mowle said. “Everyone wants to see them.”

The HP planning team chose a Thursday night screening because they did not want people to have to go out of their way to attend the event, especially commuter students, since the Association of Commuter Students is copromoting the event.

There will be room for an estimated 50 to 75 cars.

There will be a seating area for students without cars and they are encouraged to bring blankets or chairs.

Before the movie started, there was also an episode of Nickelodeon’s “Rugrats.”

Speakers and an FM transmitter were provided in order to hear the movie.

Skylar Frisch

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...