Advanced body composition reader available for $10 fee

The Wellness Center is always looking for the latest in fitness technology. After last year’s full makeover brought in brand new machines, the Wellness Center has now added another state-of-the-art tool called the Bod Pod.
“The Bod Pod gets closer to recording actual body composition than anything we’ve ever had,” said Tony Musto, associate director of fitness programs. “Skin folds are useful for recording change but not much more, and the process, using caliper pinchers, is more painful. Underwater weighing is effective, but very difficult to do.”
The Bod Pod uses a two-step process to get results. First, the participant steps on a scale to record his or her body weight into a computer attached to the machine. Second, he or she steps into the Bod Pod and it starts working.
The device already knows how much air is inside the chamber so when the participant steps in and displaces air, it can measure his or her body volume by seeing how much air was displaced. Once it has a person’s body volume and weight, it can calculate body composition. For the most accurate results, participants wear tight-fitting underwear and put on a swim cap. This minimizes any added volume on the body, which would skew the results.
The Bod Pod is an egg-shaped chamber with one seat and not much breathing room. Once inside, the machine hums for a few seconds. The test is over after a few moments inside but is repeated three times for accuracy.
The Bod Pod is already helping some varsity athletes improve. The women’s and men’s basketball players have already gotten their body density results, which will help coaches and trainers develop conditioning and strength programs for each specific player. For example, depending on the results, a player may need to do more cardio or weight training.
Students can find out their body density and body fat for a $10 fee. For a slightly higher fee, even non-members can take advantage of the Bod Pod.
Similar to the athletes, students’ results can help them figure out not only what workouts to do but how to change their diets to lose weight. The technology has some students eager to improve their fitness.
“I’ve done skin folds test before and it isn’t fun,” said sophomore Max Schlesinger, a Wellness Center employee. “So I would love to try out the Bod Pod so I can change my diet and workout plan without the hassle.”
Musto, one of the individuals responsible for bringing the Bod Pod to Miami, thinks utilizing the new piece of equipment should be a no-brainer for students.
“You get the most accurate body density results possible from a $32,000 machine for $10,” he said. “Whether you’re an athlete or not, that’s a deal.”
To use the Bod Pod, students and members can go upstairs to the Wellness suite and sign up or call the Wellness Suite at 305-284-5433. It cost $10 for students, $35 for members, and $50 for non-members. Bod Pod testing is by appointment only.

June 21, 2013

Gabriel Ibrahim

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...