Edge, Music

British girl group Little Mix shines on debut album

Since winning “The X Factor UK” in 2011 – the first group entry to do so – British girl group Little Mix has quickly become an international success. The girls – Jesy Nelson, Perrie Edwards, Leigh-Anne Pinnock and Jade Thirlwall – were recently certified double platinum in Australia and debuted at No. 1 in the UK with their single “Wings.”

Little Mix now has their eyes set on the U.S. The group will release its debut album, “DNA,” on May 28 and make its U.S. television debut on “Good Morning America” on June 7.

One listen to “DNA” and there’s no doubt the girls will soon take over America. The vocals are strong and the tracks are catchy. The album kicks off with “Wings,” an empowering pop song against haters. The track has the same quality that the album and the group itself has: sass. And if there’s anything that artists like Nicki Minaj and Cher Lloyd have taught us, it’s that attitude – especially for female performers in today’s industry – is a must.

The next track, “DNA,” shows the girls’ edgier side. The stand-out harmonies on this song are incredible and the lyrics are catchy: “I’m the X to his Y/It’s the color of his eyes/He can do no wrong/No, he don’t need to try.”

It’s notable that the group co-wrote the majority of the tracks on the album, including “Wings,” “DNA” and “How Ya Doin’?”

“Change Your Life,” “Pretend It’s OK,” “Turn Your Face” and “Always Be Together,” some of the slower songs on the album, let the girls’ vocals – and harmonies – shine. The ballads, which could have easily been lost amid the energetic pop songs on the album, manage to stand out on “DNA.”

“We Are Who We Are” is more than just a catchy girl anthem. Once again, Little Mix’s vocals are strong and the arrangement is flawless. It’s the better version of Selena Gomez’s “Who Says.” The girls sing: “Pretty’s just a petty word/And I’m gonna shine like a star/Cause I’m the only me in this world.”

There’s no doubt that “How Ya Doin’?” is one of the highlights of this album. With its ‘90s groove and sassy lyrics, it’s easy for the girls to shine on this track. “So long, baby, I’m gone/You can leave a message for me after the tone,” they sing.

The music and lyrics on “Red Planet,” featuring TLC’s T-Boz, are similar to the title track’s. It’s yet another solid addition to “DNA.”

The final track, “Madhouse,” leaves fans on a high. The up-tempo pop song is perfect for getting ready before a night out. It’s definitely one of the edgier songs on the album: “Running from the madhouse/They won’t take me back/Got the medicine to give me what I need.”

There’s something for everyone in “DNA.” Whether you want going-out music, an empowering girl anthem or a slow ballad, Little Mix has it covered.

So here’s to “DNA.” We’ve seen many boy bands come and go since the ‘90s, but it’s time for a girl group to take over the airwaves.

For more information, visit little-mix.com/gb/home.

May 17, 2013

About Author

Nicky Diaz Copy Chief

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “British girl group Little Mix shines on debut album”

1. Bradley says:

This band certainly has a lot going for them, as the review points out. It will be interesting to see how the future pans out for them, but it seems all is well!

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

News and views from the first day of UM football spring practice: • Found it interesting that when M ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...

The No. 15th–ranked University of Miami women's golf team concluded competition at the 2017 Bri ...