Crime and Safety, News

UM graduate dies in car crash early Sunday morning

The  University of Miami graduate Dino Ghilotti was killed in a tw0-car crash Sunday morning, according to the Coral Gables Police Department and a statement released by President Donna E. Shalala.

A memorial service will be held for him at 5 p.m. Monday at St. Augustine Church, located at 1400 Miller Rd., across the street from campus, said UM spokeswoman Margot Winick. It will be followed by a memorial service at the Newman Alumni Center on campus.

Friends said that Ghilotti, 22, was a fun and kind-hearted person.

“Dino was one of the nicest, funniest kids I had the pleasure of meeting,” said alumnus Katie Dorsey, who lived a floor below Ghilotti their freshman year. “He was the type of guy who was always excited to see you around campus and who always had a huge smile on his face that would brighten your day.”

Ghilotti was in the passenger seat of a car that crashed on Bird Road and San Amaro Drive just after 4:30 a.m., according to the Coral Gables Police. The car was being driven by another UM student, but no further details were available as of Sunday afternoon.

“The entire university community is heartbroken to hear of the tragic traffic accident which resulted in the death of a UM student who just celebrated his graduation on Friday,” Shalala said in her statement. “…Our condolences and thoughts are with his family and friends today.”

Ghilotti graduated from the School of Business, and planned to join his family’s construction business, Shalala’s statement said.

The counseling center is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday for any students who need assistance. They are accepting walk-ins. Anyone who wants to speak with a counselor on Sunday should contact UMPD for the on-call therapist at 305-284-6666.

The investigation is ongoing. This story will be updated as more details become available.

The Miami Hurricane Editor-in-Chief Stephanie Parra contributed to this report. 

May 12, 2013

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “UM graduate dies in car crash early Sunday morning”

1. Carolyn says:

The Ghilotti family mourns the immeasurable loss of Dino Ghilotti, son of GCC president Dick Ghilotti and his wife Nancy.
    The Ghilotti’s thank the community of friends for the huge outpouring of support and condolences.

Feel free to share your memories of Dino with us in the comments or at Dino’s Legacy.com memorial website.

http://memorialwebsites.legacy.com/DinoGhilotti/Homepage.aspx

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...