Crime and Safety, News

UM graduate dies in car crash early Sunday morning

The  University of Miami graduate Dino Ghilotti was killed in a tw0-car crash Sunday morning, according to the Coral Gables Police Department and a statement released by President Donna E. Shalala.

A memorial service will be held for him at 5 p.m. Monday at St. Augustine Church, located at 1400 Miller Rd., across the street from campus, said UM spokeswoman Margot Winick. It will be followed by a memorial service at the Newman Alumni Center on campus.

Friends said that Ghilotti, 22, was a fun and kind-hearted person.

“Dino was one of the nicest, funniest kids I had the pleasure of meeting,” said alumnus Katie Dorsey, who lived a floor below Ghilotti their freshman year. “He was the type of guy who was always excited to see you around campus and who always had a huge smile on his face that would brighten your day.”

Ghilotti was in the passenger seat of a car that crashed on Bird Road and San Amaro Drive just after 4:30 a.m., according to the Coral Gables Police. The car was being driven by another UM student, but no further details were available as of Sunday afternoon.

“The entire university community is heartbroken to hear of the tragic traffic accident which resulted in the death of a UM student who just celebrated his graduation on Friday,” Shalala said in her statement. “…Our condolences and thoughts are with his family and friends today.”

Ghilotti graduated from the School of Business, and planned to join his family’s construction business, Shalala’s statement said.

The counseling center is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday for any students who need assistance. They are accepting walk-ins. Anyone who wants to speak with a counselor on Sunday should contact UMPD for the on-call therapist at 305-284-6666.

The investigation is ongoing. This story will be updated as more details become available.

The Miami Hurricane Editor-in-Chief Stephanie Parra contributed to this report. 

May 12, 2013

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “UM graduate dies in car crash early Sunday morning”

1. Carolyn says:

The Ghilotti family mourns the immeasurable loss of Dino Ghilotti, son of GCC president Dick Ghilotti and his wife Nancy.
    The Ghilotti’s thank the community of friends for the huge outpouring of support and condolences.

Feel free to share your memories of Dino with us in the comments or at Dino’s Legacy.com memorial website.

http://memorialwebsites.legacy.com/DinoGhilotti/Homepage.aspx

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Check out some of the best photos from the Miami women's tennis team's 4-0 victory against ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team will make its ninth appearance in the ACC Champions ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team defeated No. 12-seed Boston College, 4-0, Friday af ...

The University of Miami track and field team closed out the 2017 outdoor track and field regular sea ...