News Briefs 4/25

Jane Goodall

British primatologist and anthropologist Jane Goodall will speak at UM at 5 p.m. Monday. She is best known for her study of social and family interactions of wild chimpanzees in Tanzania’s Gombe National Park. The event has been moved from the Fieldhouse to the BankUnited Center, so more tickets have become available. The event is free, but a ticket is required for entry, with a limit of two tickets per student. Visit janegoodall.eventbrite.com and enter the password “janegoodall” to obtain a ticket. Doors open at 4 p.m.

Boston Fundraiser

Sisters in the Panhellenic community organized a fundraiser for the victims of Boston Marathon attack, tabling in the breezeway Monday and Tuesday. More than $700 was raised for One Fund Boston, which was created by the mayor of Boston and the governor of Massachusetts to help the people most affected by the tragedy on April 15. They distributed blue and yellow ribbons, sold baked goods, and collected additional donations. Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Gamma and Kappa Kappa Gamma all supported the effort.

Parking permits

More than 100 parking spaces will be added to the color-coded system of parking lots on the Coral Gables campus. An existing visitor lot adjacent to Pavia Garage will be converted into a pink lot for employees and students. A new lot with 88 spaces will also be constructed next to the Studio Arts Building at the corner of Red Road and Levante Avenue. The 2013-2014 parking permit application process will begin in July, with all faculty and staff applying on July 1, all returning students on July 8, and all new students excluding first-year residents on July 15.

The Homeless Trust

A parking meter designed by artist Romero Britto will be installed on campus at Starbucks near Richter Library. It will be used to collect funds that are donated to The Homeless Trust of Miami-Dade. UM S.T.E.P. will unveil the meter at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.