Feminism organization necessary on university campus

What does it actually mean? Feminism, the ‘F’ word in question, seems to stroke people the wrong way. Unfortunately, one would never have thought that feminism, a progressive movement towards equality, would be so misconceived by people on a university campus.

Universities are places that are supposed to allow, encourage and foster individuality and acceptance of different ways of thinking. Ideally, this is how a university should function. Yet when two young women from the University of Miami tried to reactivate a feminist organization, the National Organization for Women Campus Action Network (NOWCAN), we were denied.

The Committee on Student Organizations (COSO) stripped us of our First Amendment right, in the sense of freedom of speech and expression. Furthermore, during the process we felt a certain level of bias against the organization. Perhaps this sense of bias, or what seemed to be a form of sexism, came from the misconstrued traditional roles that women play in society.

We need feminism. Not only do we need feminism, but we need feminism on campus.

There seems to be an incredible amount of sexism displayed on a “liberal and diverse campus.” When the word feminism is mentioned, people usually react in a negative way due to the presupposed stereotypes that the term feminism evokes.  For example, some common remarks from the student body have been “I hate feminists” and “gender roles are natural.”

One interesting exchange with a student went in the following way: “Are you a lesbian?” “No, why?” “Then, why are you reading Feminist Philosophy?”

These ignorant remarks prove that the need for an organization dedicated entirely to feminism should not only exist, but is imperative and necessary that it exists. Students on campus are hopefully smart, open-minded and curious about what it means to be a human being, and thus what it means to be a feminist.

NOWCAN would have provided a safe space and support system for both women and men to discuss the double standards they experience in their lives and on campus. The organization would have empowered women to believe in themselves as well as creating opportunities to help other women in our community.

In the words of Gloria Steinem, “A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men.”

Kamil Gil is a senior majoring in philosophy, and Sabrina Rishmague is a junior majoring in philosophy.  

Kamil Gil

Sabrina Rishmague

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...