Campus Life, News, Student Government

Chartwells to renovate, modernize dining halls

Screenshot courtesy Youtube.com

Screenshot courtesy Youtube.com

This summer, the Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall will be completely revamped as part of Chartwells’ 10-year contract with the University of Miami.

In order to improve the overall dining experience, Chartwells will remove behind-the-scenes food preparations and cook everything in front of students. Additionally, they will replace the furniture and organize it in a more open fashion to foster a more amicable atmosphere.

“Currently only residents go to the dining halls … because they need their food and that’s the easiest place to get it,” said former Student Government (SG) President Nawara Alawa. “What we’re looking for is a place to live, a place to eat, a place to hang out. It’s like our dining room essentially, not just a dining hall.”

The new dining hall will be renovated based on Chartwells’ Pulse on Dining locations that are composed of three dining zones, Chartwells’ Communications Director Kristine Andrews wrote in an email interview. The casual dining, called Eat.Learn.Live., will be composed of chefs preparing meals-to-order in front of students. MyPantry, the comfortable dining option, will resemble a home kitchen and house a refrigerator, home appliances and  cabinets.  The premium dining area will feature culinary entertainment in its fully exposed kitchen.

Chartwells, in collaboration with UM, formed a specialized group of students, faculty and staff to study the desires and needs unique to the Coral Gables campus.

“The intention is to create a campus dining experience for the students, by the students,” Andrews wrote.

Chartwells will create a natural interior design for a modern dining venue. The new seating arrangements of the spaces will include booths, high tops, easily arrangable chairs and a conference room that students and faculty can reserve, according to Alawa

Additionally, SG President Bhumi Patel and her staff are working on an outdoor seating patio, as well as an easier to-go option.

“Right now students that are doing take-out dining and dine-in swipe in at the same spot, but it gets slow,” she said. “What we’re working on with Chartwells is creating a separate to-go area … This’ll be faster.”

Construction on the renovations is scheduled to begin when the dining hall closes after finals and end before classes start this coming fall semester.

SG is also working on developing improved meal plan options and block meal plans for residents in regards to Chartwells.

According to Patel, other dining changes around campus will include Lime moving into the current location of the Rat. There will also be new dining options in the Student Activities Center.

[gn_media url=”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSB5CFX04cs” width=”560″ height=”315″]

About Author

Jordan Coyne

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Chartwells to renovate, modernize dining halls”

1. Nick Swyter says:

Hey Jordan,

Do you or anybody at the Hurricane know how much the renovations will cost? Also do you know whether Chartwells or UM is paying for it?

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...