Campus Life, News

Apps ease summer vacation plans, connect travelers

Junior Kate Maier sunbathes on roof of the UV Albenga garage on Monday afternoon. Photo Illustration. Monica Herndon // Assistant Photo Editor

Summer, the glorious end to the semester, has finally arrived and students can practically feel the sand between their toes. Before taking off, it’s important to pack all the essentials, including the right apps that can make or break your vacation.

Break the Ice!

Meeting people can be awkward. Break the Ice! helps users find nearby people to hang out with, because no one wants to spend summer alone. Two people will only be matched if they have a mutual interest, which means no more awkward encounters.

AroundMe

The most exciting part of going away for summer is finding somewhere awesome to hang out, but where do students even begin to look? AroundMe locates points of interest near users, including restaurants, bars, hospitals, ATMs and many more categories to make for an exciting trip.

Google Translate

Google Translate is a must for going abroad. The last thing students want is to be stuck in a country trying to interpret foreign signs. The simplicity of the app means getting over the language barrier and getting onto the fun faster.

Taxi Magic

It’s the end of the night, and the phrase “party hard” has been taken to the extreme. But, what happens now? Taxi magic works, well, just like magic to summon a taxi and get students back to their hotels without much fuss.

TripAdvisor

It’s like a travel agent in your pocket. Trip Advisor offers helpful hotel and flight information. It also displays nearby restaurants and activities and includes price ranges and user reviews. The app provides local city guides so students can take a free, app-guided walking or driving tour.

Urbanspoon

After a full day of fun in the sun or partying in the club, nobody wants to stand around trying to decide where to eat. Urbanspoon simplifies the process by selecting a random location based on the price range, location or type of cuisine.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...