Photo

SLIDESHOW: Autism Field Day

(Photos by Holly Bensur)

On Friday afternoon, the University of Miami hosted a field day for children and teens with autism in Miami. April is Autism Awareness Month and UM students had the opportunity to join the UM Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (CARD) at the UM Field Day for Teens. One child, Alex, took his turn sitting in the middle of a colorful parachute as volunteers and other autistic children spun him around. There were a variety of stations and activities including limbo, hula hoops and cornhole. UM students Robert Pursell and Lindsay Rosen spearheaded the event. Pursell organized this event with CARD to leave a lasting impression at the U. “I think it did a lot for not only the kids with autism, but also for the college kids who came out and had never worked with autistic kids before,” he said. “The ability to impact a child with autism is very powerful.” More than 100 UM students and 30 autistic children from the community came to campus to participate in the festivities.

Cayla Nimmo

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...