Next year’s housing change leads to contradicting student thoughts

The housing change taking place next year made some students happy, while frustrating others, depending on where they planned their living arrangements.

Currently, the freshmen who are admitted and unable to live in the Hecht and Stanford towers due to lack of space, are placed in Mahoney or Pearson on floors that are set apart to serve the incoming freshman class. However, Eaton will be the residential college playing host to the overflow of freshman this upcoming fall.

Though I do not know the schools exact reasoning for moving the freshmen from Mahoney and Pearson to Eaton, it makes a lot of sense. It is an efficient way to serve the entire incoming freshman class to ensure that they get the most out of their first year. And, it will give them a stronger sense of community. It is definitely easier to help a specific group of students and make sure that their needs are being met if they are in the same general location.

However, this change was not common knowledge during the opt-in process, and caught some of the residents currently living in Eaton off-guard.  Students living on campus who were selected for the lottery had the option of keeping their rooms for the upcoming school year.

With the freshmen being moved from one dorm to another, there were students living in Eaton who were displaced. These students had to either move to Mahoney or Pearson, off campus, or wait to see if other people were moving out of Eaton so they could take their suites.

Eaton has the reputation of being the calmest of the five residential colleges on campus, and living in Eaton, I find that to be true. Because of its reputation, some students move to Eaton to “retire” so to speak. They want to stay on campus but they also want peace and quiet in their lives.

Though the housing department doesn’t have an obligation to inform students of changes, it would have been helpful if this information had been disclosed prior to the opt-in period. Had students been made aware of these upcoming changes, there is a possibility that they would have planned their housing differently.

Students were upset with the way this situation was addressed, and with reason. How are students supposed to make an informed decision without all of the information? Full disclosure would have been nice.

Taylor Duckett is a sophomore majoring in economics. 

About Author

Taylor Duckett

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...