Athletics, Sports

Sports Brief 4/18

Track & Field

The ACC Outdoor Track Championships begin Thursday in Raleigh, N.C.

Miami’s women’s 4×100 meter relay team is seen as having the best chance to score a win.

Amber Monroe and Lea Johnson have high hopes for the field events.

Isaiah Simmons, a men’s thrower who set a personal record in discus at last week’s Hurricane Invitational, is a threat in the shot-put and hammer throws.

“It’s ACC week. It’s what you’ve been training for all year,” coach Amy Deem said. “It’s not about one person, it’s about a team effort. Everybody needs to step up so when they walk off, they can say they left everything on the track.”

Golf

The Miami women’s golf team has performed beyond the expectations of recent seasons, and heads to the ACC Championships this weekend.

Three starters from the eighth-place squad at last year’s tournament will return to the course for No. 54 Miami.

The action kicks off at the Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, N.C., at 8:30 a.m. Friday.

The Canes placed in the top five at five of their 10 tournaments this year.

To track the women’s progress throughout the weekend, follow the team on Twitter @HurricanesGolf.

Football

Coach Al Golden released the first depth chart since spring practice ended.

The Hurricanes return 10 offensive starters and nine defensive starters, and will be led by senior quarterback Stephen Morris.

Miami’s only freshman starter listed on the new depth chart is Alex Figueroa, who nabbed the top spot at outside linebacker.

Also making his first appearance on the depth chart is Pat O’Donnell, a graduate punter out of the University of Cincinnati.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...